Time to say goodbye

So I went outside today to add some chlorine to my pool when I discovered my pool was empty, it freaked it me, I looked, no hoses popped, how the heck did this happen?

I climbed inside and moved my just recently purchased generic kreepy crawly and there behind the ladder is a nice 6 inch long tear in the liner !

For the past few years I had known about an uneven-ness in my pool, two supports were sinking. I wasn't looking forward to the repair because it meant draining and replacing the liner, I probably had a few good years left on the liner (I had it replaced when we moved in 8 years ago) and was going to fix it during the next replacement.

Now I'm not so sure I want to replace the pool....I tend to only go in it 5 times or less a season and my partner never goes in (he says he will but never does). I don't know how long we are going to debate if we should replace or toss the pool so I went ahead and cut free the liner from the walls so when it shrinks it doesn't start to bend the walls in and make it useless if we decide to repair it.

In doing so I noticed some rusting on the inside panel in a section, not a lot, but still some. Also it appears repair work was done on the wall at one time as there is a lot of blue duct tape on it, I pulled it back and I guess thats the way to prevent more rust as they taped up over rust spots?

I'm starting to think Hot Tub in place of the pool, in the summer I usually visit a friend's apartment nightly to sit in his complex's tub, but they have hours that sometimes don't jive with my work schedule :(

Anyways, I've never taken apart a pool is it hard? a one person, two person job? is it mainly recyclable? I'm guessing the wall is? deck plates are plastic?

Does one just toss soil over the sand and plant grass or does this need to be removed?

Bummer to hear.

The easiest way to take down a pool is to post it for free on Craigslist and let someone else come and get it ;)
Then they either get to reuse it or take the metal to the scrap yard.

Might be worth a shot.

So right now I'm waiting to hear back from an installer to find out what it might cost to repair the un-levelness of my pool before I decide to get rid of it. Does it sound weird that I'm wanting to keep it even though I don't use it very often, I feel like had I chosen to take it down rather than being forced to take it down (by way of the ripped liner) that I might feel differently that it was ok for it to go.

Anyways

I started poking around, figure if they can fix it why can't I save money and do it myself, so I started removing the cove and digging under the beams, the ones where the bottom bracket were replaced a few years back have no bricks underneath them (when I had them replaced the installer left chunks of bricks on the outside of the pool, I assumed they were brought by him to put underneath it never dawned on me he removed them)

I feel like I might have fixed the level of the pool.

Now I need to know where to find the bottom brackets to the support beams, I discovered about 4 of them that are broken, however I don't know the model of the pool, just that its an Aqua Leader. and the beams are plastic/resin

I've also been looking at liners, any thoughts on the Caribbean "fishy" pattern....I think its cute, but afraid it might get annoying over time. Anyone have any thoughts on it?

Check with this company:

INYOPools.com

Awesome CS and I bet they can help you. They can and will look at pics and measurements to help you find your parts AND they price match!

Make sure to tell them TFP sent you for the white glove service!

Kim:cat:

Shoot! the parts I ordered through INYO definitely cheaper but 20 minutes later I got a message the bottom rails are backordered 2 weeks. In 2 weeks I'm on vacation on a cruise ship, I can't afford to risk leaving my pool walls up without a liner and water that long so I had them cancel the back ordered part and went the pool store and paid 20 bucks a base plate.....$80 later, they should arrive tomorrow. Was really hoping this to be a cheaper repair by doing it my self, which in the end it will be, but 6.99 vs 20 a piece is a huge difference.

Hi @dlmtechnology I'm sorry about the back-ordered bottom rails, we have really been selling through our above ground pool parts inventory this year. The top ledge cover shipped out yesterday and should be to you on Friday. Thanks so much!

It's ok patrick, I appreciate your help, I'm just bummed I couldn't find them locally cheaper. I can only imagine what the pool store would have charged me for the top ledge piece too.

I'm a little irked when I look at a 10 cent piece of plastic and am charged 20 bucks for it....I watched a lady getting taken for water conditioner and all these other extras and I just wanted to scream STOP IT, DON'T LISTEN TO THEM, BLEACH! BAKING SODA! BORAX! Run, Run as fast as you can!

Thank you though for helping to identify my pool and getting me the rest of my order :)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
So you aren't saying 'goodbye" to your pool? Maybe say "hello"! ::humming::

Maybe it was just goodbye to my Liner....I started tinkering and poking around and figured I can put new blocks under the supports that are missing them. Then I thought, I can put in my new liner. So I figured I'd give it a go....Thursday my "finding dory" liner should appear and hopefully it will be installed soon.

I just picked up my $20 brackets (still mad at that)and installed one so far, but now I have got to go to work. 1 down, 3 more to go before its time to re-tamp the sand and reinstall the foam cove and finally attempt to install Dory :)

I call it my "finding dory" liner since well, the movie is out. I always wanted something fun and something you don't see on every pool, I didn't get a choice in liner when we put the original one in almost 10 years ago so this time I was having my way :)

Hopefully it looks great in the pool, we shall find out soon, it arrives Thursday according to FedEx

AQUARIUMLINER.jpg

I call it my "finding dory" liner since well, the movie is out. I always wanted something fun and something you don't see on every pool, I didn't get a choice in liner when we put the original one in almost 10 years ago so this time I was having my way :)

Hopefully it looks great in the pool, we shall find out soon, it arrives Thursday according to FedEx

View attachment 51166

That would be a lot of fun!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ok, after being in the pool with no water all day, I think I'm done making repairs. supports have bricks under them once again, there doesn't appear to be a hugely noticeable drop on the one side anymore. I did luck out when I found another broken base, I was afraid I was going to have to order another one from the pool store and wait a day, but they had some in stock this time. New sand added that washed away, floor re-brushed to get rid of my foot prints. After I got out I can see some uneven spots in the floor but I'm ok with it, I'm not expecting a perfectly even sand floor.

Now to wait for delivery of the liner. I work in the morning so hopefully after 5 I can come home and find out I can start installing it. Prolly should take off the skimmer and return valve tonight but I'm too pooped to poop right now! How do pool installers do this every day?

Good update! yeah I hear ya on how do they do it all day. I said the same thing about drywallers when I was doing the pool house. I taped, mudded, finished, and painted the whole thing on my own on summer. NO way someone could pay me to do that. Work a couple hours, jump in the pool to cool off, relax for a few and start again.

Fingers crossed the liner will be there when you get home. Have you watched video or read how to install it? Do NOT cut it until your water is right under the return. That is the number one thing to know!

Kim:cat:

I have watched video after video after video. A few things in common. They never show how a person got out of a pool without leaving a ladder print behind. None of them show how to get into the pool to unroll/fold it. Some say just go over the pool wall but I'm thinking that's a great way to scrape the liner. I think I'm going to try taping a nice sized cardboard box under the ladder so I can get in and out. Hopefully that will distribute my weight without making too big an indent in the sand

Weather doesn't look good for an install tonight. :-(. 50% chance of thunderstorms this afternoon.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.