Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Readings of Chlorine

1. Back To Top    #1

Readings of Chlorine

Hi, having troubles keeping my Chlorine levels above .50 & Alkalinity levels above .40. The only way I get higher CL level is the day after a shock then it goes down again to .40 the second day. The CYA is 30-50 idea so the strips say I can put in 4.4 pounds of sodium bicarbonate with no change at all the next day or even 5 hrs after. I went to the pool place they said my phosphates r high & that's why my readings r bad.. They wouldn't even do the test for TA CL CYA or PH cuz they said it would mean any thing so the sold my some Phos defense to get rid of the phosphates even though I have the clear pool which is a 24 foot above ground round pool 4 foot deep with sand filter. My question is will a high they said it was high give a problem with getting my Chem levels from destroying them selves? It seem I can put all the Chems in with out them lasting more than 2 days other than PH that reading is always good.
    so what do u think guys.

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: Readings of Chlorine

Welcome to TFP

We can help but its not going to be easy, you will have to make a decision and a leap of faith and stop believing what the pool store is telling you..

with bleach and your own test kit you can have crystal clear water... depending on how much CYA you have you may have to drain and replace some water but we will get to that..

check out the links below in my signature, I love and recommend the TF100 with the XL option as you will be doing a lot of testing to start out..

Let us know
    Pool: Intex 16x32 15000 gal, 2 speed 340042, Pentair CC320 Filter, CircuPool SJ45 Salt System, Intermatic PE653RC; Hot Tub: 650 Gal SWG Megachlor
    links: pool school * Recommended-Levels * SLAM * CYA chart * Test kits * How To Post Pictures * Poolmath * OCLT ** Support your website if we helped you :) **

3. Back To Top    #3

Welcome to TFP!

+1 to using the TF-100 from TFTestkits.net to test your own water and stay out of the pool store.

Chlorine level is set based on CYA and the FC/CYA Chart. If your pool won't hold chlorine it is kost likely because of algae growing in the pool. Ww kill algae following the SLAM process.

Read some Pool School.
    ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry
    Pool School - Getting Started
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

4. Back To Top    #4

What is the current status of testkits in Canada, guys? I haven't been following that. Any ideas for OP?

5. Back To Top    #5

TFP Guide

I didn't notice your up north, here is a 2006-C for 90 but it costs 60 bucks to ship to canada, still really cheap for a C kit

Taylor K 2006C Swimming Pool Spa Liquid Test Kit Fas DPD Chlorine 2 oz Reagents | eBay
    Pool: Intex 16x32 15000 gal, 2 speed 340042, Pentair CC320 Filter, CircuPool SJ45 Salt System, Intermatic PE653RC; Hot Tub: 650 Gal SWG Megachlor
    links: pool school * Recommended-Levels * SLAM * CYA chart * Test kits * How To Post Pictures * Poolmath * OCLT ** Support your website if we helped you :) **