Heating Options and Opinions

Oct 20, 2015
Huntington, NY
So, as mentioned in another thread, i moved into my home in november. pool was closed obviously. Fast forward to now. I opened my pool a few weeks ago and noticed my heater (hayward hp21104t) was innefective and the water coming out of the jets was no warmer than the rest of the water. i decided to run it for 24h with the cover on it and it did not raise the temp at all. I asked my plumber/electrictian who also is licensed to work on pools/spas to take a look at it. apparently my compressor is seized. he said its probably not even worth replacing since its an undersized unit (110k btu) and a new compressor is 1k. so currently my options are as follows:

1. replace compressor on a 5 year old undersized heatpump 1k parts 400 labor
2. Replace the entire unit with an appropriately sized heat exchanger for 2500-3k
3. run 60-70ft of natural gas pipe and install a natural gas heater (1500ish for heater and 4-500 plumbing labor)
4. Go solar with h2Otsun power strip kit 4300-5300 Parts only (depends on if i got with 75% of pool surface area or 100%. i would install myself)
5. get a hot tub for 6-7k and not care if my pool isn't warm because i would appreciate the cool temperature to cool off.

Curious to get opinions based on what people think? my pool maintains 80 or so degrees and heats up to about 83-84 without the blanket and maintains about 85 degrees with the blanket.

I'm leaning towards solar since it will be the least expensive to run and i wont have to 'plan' to use the pool like with the other heater options. it will always be warm (unless of course theres no sun or its cold out).i am under the impression that a natural gas heater costs about 4 dollars per hour to run (Although it heats very quickly so it doesn't need to run for very long)

Thanks!

If I had to spend money I'd go solar.

I had solar at my last house and loved it. got the pool up to 83 regularly, sometimes as high as 87 which I though was too warm.

Currently have gas at the new place and the heater is in very good condition so I'll wait to do solar til it's kaput.

$4 per hour sounds about right for running....and once the pool and ambient air temps are in the 70's it gets less use.
Not sure how gas is anywhere else, but here my last bill had a substantial credit due to gas prices going down recently.

Do you have south facing roof to mount panels?

100% coverage with Solar Industries panels that were 20 years old. (rated for 25 year life)

pool was 20x36 in ground plaster, tear drop shape. 19,000 gallons

It was the neatest thing turning them and watching the outgoing/incoming
temp guages show a 7 degree gain on a sunny day. Then feeling
the warmth at the returns...Magic!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.