So, as mentioned in another thread, i moved into my home in november. pool was closed obviously. Fast forward to now. I opened my pool a few weeks ago and noticed my heater (hayward hp21104t) was innefective and the water coming out of the jets was no warmer than the rest of the water. i decided to run it for 24h with the cover on it and it did not raise the temp at all. I asked my plumber/electrictian who also is licensed to work on pools/spas to take a look at it. apparently my compressor is seized. he said its probably not even worth replacing since its an undersized unit (110k btu) and a new compressor is 1k. so currently my options are as follows:
1. replace compressor on a 5 year old undersized heatpump 1k parts 400 labor
2. Replace the entire unit with an appropriately sized heat exchanger for 2500-3k
3. run 60-70ft of natural gas pipe and install a natural gas heater (1500ish for heater and 4-500 plumbing labor)
4. Go solar with h2Otsun power strip kit 4300-5300 Parts only (depends on if i got with 75% of pool surface area or 100%. i would install myself)
5. get a hot tub for 6-7k and not care if my pool isn't warm because i would appreciate the cool temperature to cool off.
Curious to get opinions based on what people think? my pool maintains 80 or so degrees and heats up to about 83-84 without the blanket and maintains about 85 degrees with the blanket.
I'm leaning towards solar since it will be the least expensive to run and i wont have to 'plan' to use the pool like with the other heater options. it will always be warm (unless of course theres no sun or its cold out).i am under the impression that a natural gas heater costs about 4 dollars per hour to run (Although it heats very quickly so it doesn't need to run for very long)