New Pool Chemicals

mgk645

Jun 11, 2016
Warren, MI
Hey all

In anticipation of getting our pool installed next Friday (7/1) I ordered the K2006 kit off Amazon (had a gift card to burn). I have tested the water from my Tap so that I can go purchase needed chemicals to get the pool ready:

Here are my numbers:

PH 7.0
FC 1.2
TA 100
CH 110

I know I dont need to do CYA since its tap water, but do I need to perform the CC test?

I plugged my number into PoolMath and got the following:

FC 78oz of 6% Bleach
PH 95oz weight of Borax
TA 0
CH 300oz weight of Calcium Chloride
CYA 72oz weight Stabilizer

Does this sound about right?

Pool is about 13,500 Gallons

Thanks!

You will need stabilizer (CYA, cyanuric acid) for sure.
You will need bleach. FC is a consumable and must constantly be replenished.
Eventually, you will likely need muriatic acid to reduce pH. Your pH is a little low in the tap water, but shortly after filling and circulating your pH will likely rise due to aeration and your TA level. Wait to adjust pH after you have circulated the full pool for about an hour.

If your pool is has a vinyl liner there is no reason to raise CH. As long as your CH is greater than 50 and less than 350, don't worry about CH at all.

It's great to test your tap water for practice but test everything again once you fill your pool and have circulated. You can also ALWAYS use a 10 mL sample volume for the FAS-DPD test for FC/CC. 1 drop = 0.5 ppm. It saves on reagents and is precise enough for nearly all purposes of managing a pool.

Thanks Joel

I'll run to Walmart and see if I find some of that Chlorine for $2.50/gallon everyone talks about on here. I'll grab some CYA too.

It is a vinyl liner, I just updated my signature to reflect the pool specs.

Unfortunately, I just got done reading that Walmart bumped it up to like $3+ a gallon. In that case, just buy Great Value Bleach. No splashless or scented. It's 8.25%

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.