First time pool owner

Deidra

Jun 24, 2016
Currituck, NC
So we just bought our first pool, set it up, its halfway full and I'm not sure what to do first once it is full besides turn the pump on. I know I need to adjust pH, alkalinity and fc but not sure if there is a certain order. Also not sure how high to take the fc at the beginning, do I take it high and let it drop? Please help :)

Its my first pool so the day before yesterday when we started filling, I started learning. Learning is kind of an addiction of mine. It hasn't finished filling yet and I am anxious to know where to begin and what to do and in what order to do so. I am filling from a well and I did do the metal check test by filling a 5gal bucket 3/4 of the way and adding 1/4 cup bleach and checked 15 min later for cloudiness, looked clear. (By checked 15 min later, what I really mean is watched it for 15 min until the alarm on my phone went off. Kinda OCD here.

Using PoolMath (link at the top of the forum), enter your pool's gallons, at the bottom the pool's finish type (vinyl, plaster, etc), chlorine type (we're hoping you'll use bleach/liquid chlorine) and select the TroubleFreePool method.

Then enter 0 for FC (I'm going to guess if you've filled it and it's been a few hours, it's pretty much 0), and 2 for your target FC. PoolMath will tell you how much bleach to add (don't forget to set bleach strength right there).

The order of adjustments for you right now is:
Chlorine
Stabilizer (same time, get CYA in as soon as possible) - PoolMath will tell you how much stabilizer to add as well - your target is 30 and current is 0.
Ph

TA will be adjusted as you make Ph corrections (unless it's lower than 30, in which case let us know and we can talk).

I do have trichlor and dichlor which I bought in a clorox kit when I bought the pool before doing any chemistry research. Should I use those at the beginning since I here they contain cya since I won't be using them later to avoid too much cya build up?

- - - Updated - - -

I will be using bleach, does it need to be name brand? The trichlor is tablets and dichlor is granuals (I would predisolve in a 5 gal bucket before adding, if I can use them)

Until you get your CYA to target, the tri/dichlor won't hurt. You'll have to assume your CYA is higher than 0 if you use them, but that's ok, you just need to add less stabilizer than suggested, wait a few days, and retest before adding more. Waiting for your granules and tablets to put enough CYA into the water to reach an adequate level of CYA means you'll burn through a lot of them to keep up with the sun.

Bleach doesn't have to be name brand. Just watch that it isn't too old (there's either a regular manufacture date, or a Julian date - 16141, or the 141st day of 2016). You want fresh bleach as it breaks down over time. Use Concentrated bleach (8.25%) to save a little money and not have to haul as many bottles, and make sure it is unscented and doesn't have any other special ingredients (like splash-less, or "outdoor formula", etc). Just plain concentrated bleach. :)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
So should I put it in as its filling? Also it looks like sound/river water, not clear, because stills well water and not the best well, will this require anythingnextra or am I good since the metal test was clear?

- - - Updated - - -

Been filling on and off for 2.5 days now about 2/3 to the 90% mark

- - - Updated - - -

Thx for being so helpful :)

I got the cyanuric acid level up, but what should I do with the rest of what's already wet in the sock? Dispose of it? And you if so, how should I dispose of it properly?

- - - Updated - - -

Alkalinity is coming down nicely, and last test showed 3ppm chlorine and the water is getting clearer, it's not cloudy but the well water comes out with a sound water tint due to area.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.