Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First time pool owner

1. Back To Top    #1

First time pool owner

So we just bought our first pool, set it up, its halfway full and I'm not sure what to do first once it is full besides turn the pump on. I know I need to adjust pH, alkalinity and fc but not sure if there is a certain order. Also not sure how high to take the fc at the beginning, do I take it high and let it drop? Please help
    ​5,000 AG cartridge bestway 58390E 6/22/2016 BlueDevil B7550 6-way

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: First time pool owner

Welcome to TFP!!!

You know the CYA is 0, so get 30ppm dissolving in a sock.
    Add 2ppm of FC.

Beyond that, need test results.

How are you planning to chlorinate?

Have you discovered Pool School yet? Start with these:
    ABCs of Water Chemistry
    Recommended Pool Chemicals
    How to Chlorinate Your Pool
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

I read those, but didn't see anywhere that said what reading to adjust first. Chlorinate, I assume so, yes. Unless there is a better way.

4. Back To Top    #4

Its my first pool so the day before yesterday when we started filling, I started learning. Learning is kind of an addiction of mine. It hasn't finished filling yet and I am anxious to know where to begin and what to do and in what order to do so. I am filling from a well and I did do the metal check test by filling a 5gal bucket 3/4 of the way and adding 1/4 cup bleach and checked 15 min later for cloudiness, looked clear. (By checked 15 min later, what I really mean is watched it for 15 min until the alarm on my phone went off. Kinda OCD here.

5. Back To Top    #5

TFP Guide

Using PoolMath (link at the top of the forum), enter your pool's gallons, at the bottom the pool's finish type (vinyl, plaster, etc), chlorine type (we're hoping you'll use bleach/liquid chlorine) and select the TroubleFreePool method.

Then enter 0 for FC (I'm going to guess if you've filled it and it's been a few hours, it's pretty much 0), and 2 for your target FC. PoolMath will tell you how much bleach to add (don't forget to set bleach strength right there).

The order of adjustments for you right now is:
    Chlorine
    Stabilizer (same time, get CYA in as soon as possible) - PoolMath will tell you how much stabilizer to add as well - your target is 30 and current is 0.
    Ph

TA will be adjusted as you make Ph corrections (unless it's lower than 30, in which case let us know and we can talk).
    8,500gal plaster in-ground with attached spa, two floor drains, one skimmer. Chlorine, City Water.
    Pentair WhisperFlo 1hp Pump, MagnaTek Midcentury EPlus motor, Pentair CleanNClear 200SF Cartridge filter, Purex Triton MiniMax 250 Gas Heater, Pentair SunLite, AutoFill.
    Kreepy Krauly Cruiser, TF-100 with SpeedStir. :D

6. Back To Top    #6

I do have trichlor and dichlor which I bought in a clorox kit when I bought the pool before doing any chemistry research. Should I use those at the beginning since I here they contain cya since I won't be using them later to avoid too much cya build up?

- - - Updated - - -

I will be using bleach, does it need to be name brand? The trichlor is tablets and dichlor is granuals (I would predisolve in a 5 gal bucket before adding, if I can use them)

7. Back To Top    #7

Since you need CYA you can certainly use the Dichlor. Use poolmath to figure how much
    15,000 gallon free form Viking fiberglass pool. Hayward Star-Clear Plus C12002 cartridge filter. Hayward Swim Pure Plus T-15 SWG. Testing with TF-100 Kit. 2 speed 1.5HP Supreme pump. Dolphin Nautilus robotic cleaner

8. Back To Top    #8

All I have right now are the clorox test strips but the kit in my signature will be here Tuesday

9. Back To Top    #9

TFP Guide

Until you get your CYA to target, the tri/dichlor won't hurt. You'll have to assume your CYA is higher than 0 if you use them, but that's ok, you just need to add less stabilizer than suggested, wait a few days, and retest before adding more. Waiting for your granules and tablets to put enough CYA into the water to reach an adequate level of CYA means you'll burn through a lot of them to keep up with the sun.

Bleach doesn't have to be name brand. Just watch that it isn't too old (there's either a regular manufacture date, or a Julian date - 16141, or the 141st day of 2016). You want fresh bleach as it breaks down over time. Use Concentrated bleach (8.25%) to save a little money and not have to haul as many bottles, and make sure it is unscented and doesn't have any other special ingredients (like splash-less, or "outdoor formula", etc). Just plain concentrated bleach.
    8,500gal plaster in-ground with attached spa, two floor drains, one skimmer. Chlorine, City Water.
    Pentair WhisperFlo 1hp Pump, MagnaTek Midcentury EPlus motor, Pentair CleanNClear 200SF Cartridge filter, Purex Triton MiniMax 250 Gas Heater, Pentair SunLite, AutoFill.
    Kreepy Krauly Cruiser, TF-100 with SpeedStir. :D

10. Back To Top    #10

Pool math sys 20 oz. Stabilizer, how do I determine how much stabilizer is in the dichlor and trichlor, can I use both if needed?

- - - Updated - - -

What happens if bleach is scented or splash less etc.?

11. Back To Top    #11

It adds stuff to your pool that may foam up.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter

12. Back To Top    #12

Do I need to bring the pool to shock levels of chlorine at some point before its swim ready?

13. Back To Top    #13

TFP Guide

No, not if there's no indication that you have algae growing in it already.
    25000 gallon free-form gunite
    Jandy Stealth pump/CL340 cartridge filter
    Pentair IC40 SWG
    Pentair MasterTemp 250HD heater
    Jandy AquaLink RS automation

14. Back To Top    #14

Quote Originally Posted by Deidra View Post
    Do I need to bring the pool to shock levels of chlorine at some point before its swim ready?
    Would you add chlorine to your bath water?

With a new fill, it is like a big bath, but you need to get some FC in the water quickly to keep things sanitized.
    Jason, TFP Moderator

15. Back To Top    #15

So should I put it in as its filling? Also it looks like sound/river water, not clear, because stills well water and not the best well, will this require anythingnextra or am I good since the metal test was clear?

- - - Updated - - -

Been filling on and off for 2.5 days now about 2/3 to the 90% mark

- - - Updated - - -

Thx for being so helpful

16. Back To Top    #16

You should certainly start adding chlorine if you have been filling for 2-3 days already.
    Jason, TFP Moderator

17. Back To Top    #17

Used a clorox strip

Total chlorine 0
    Free chlorine 0
    PH 8.4
    Alkalinity 240
    Stabilizer 0

18. Back To Top    #18

Hi Deidra,
    I would recommend to use bleach and get your FC up to 2.

Then go ahead and bring down your pH using muriatic acid.

At the bottom of pool math, is a section called "Effects of Adding..." you can use that to esitmate how much to add before you add it, or to "experiment' without actually experimenting.
    It's very useful.
    http://www.troublefreepool.com/calc.html
    Divin Dave,
    IG Vinyl, 15' x 30', 3 1/2' - 6' deep, Oval, ~15K gal, Intelliclor IC40, Intelliflo VS pump, Clean and Clear 420 Filter, auto-fill-disabled, Retrofit LED Color Light, Dolphin Nautilus Robot, TF100 Test Kit, Taylor K1766 Salt Test Kit, Tftestkit Pressure Gauge.
    www.tftestkits.net Experience- it's what's learned just after you needed it most !!

19. Back To Top    #19

Thank u that helps a lot. Also I read not to add dichlor/trichlor directly to pools with vinyl liners but on the container it says not to predisolve but to add directly to pool instead, saying possible explosion

20. Back To Top    #20

I got the cyanuric acid level up, but what should I do with the rest of what's already wet in the sock? Dispose of it? And you if so, how should I dispose of it properly?

- - - Updated - - -

Alkalinity is coming down nicely, and last test showed 3ppm chlorine and the water is getting clearer, it's not cloudy but the well water comes out with a sound water tint due to area.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast