Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: old pool being reopened and smells funny

1. Back To Top    #1

Bristol ct

old pool being reopened and smells funny

Hi I have a 16 x 32 inground pool with a liner. The pool wasn't opened for 7 years we opened the pool 3 weeks ago and it took 3 weeks but we got it sparkling clear. The problem I'm having is the pool smells weird kinda like bleach mixed with grass clippings that sat in a can for weeks maybe even a fishy smell. What can this be? I just shocked it and I'm going to take a sample to the pool store tomorrow to be tested. Has anyone ever had a smell like this? Also there are stains in the liner they are brown I tried scrubbing but they won't come out. Is there anything I can do for this?

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide
    Fletcher, OK

Re: old pool being reopened and smells funny

Welcome to TFP

You have combined chloramines (CC) from the chlorine fighting what is left over from the 7 year pond you had

You really need your own test kit, that pool store is not going to help you besides taking your money and you have to return so they can take more... Some are great for small things or bleach..

check out the site some and look at the links below in my sig, if you want we can help
    Pool: Intex 16x32 15000 gal, 2 speed 340042, Pentair CC320 Filter, CircuPool SJ45 Salt System, Intermatic PE653RC; Hot Tub: 650 Gal SWG Megachlor
    links: pool school * Recommended-Levels * SLAM * CYA chart * Test kits * How To Post Pictures * Poolmath * OCLT ** Support your website if we helped you :) **

3. Back To Top    #3
    Tucson, AZ

Re: old pool being reopened and smells funny

Welcome to TFP!!!

If you are relying on the pool store testing I am kind of "shocked" that the pool is clear ... although I doubt the levels are to TFP standards.

You really need to invest in one of the Recommended Test Kits and follow the ShockLevelAndMAINTAIN Process ... we do not just randomly throw "shock" into the pool
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!