Pool + Spa in MA

TortugaCat

Bronze Supporter
May 29, 2016
Boston, MA
I had a pool growing up, but I lived in a much warmer climate and I am struggling with some of the unique challenges that the environment here presents.

The big decisions left to be made are waterline tile, coping and patio material, and furniture. I would appreciate any and all advice!

Overall Setting
The back of our property is bordered by a traditional New England rock wall and our neighbor behind us is a museum with a large barn and home from the 1700's. Our house is a new build, somewhat transitional colonial with lots of geometric shapes. We want to keep the pool, spa, and patio as much in keeping with the overall landscape as is possible and that is why we are doing a dark rectangle pool. We love the view and will not be doing a privacy fence along back in order to preserve it. However, that means that they will be able to see us as easily as we can see them, so we are trying to be respectful to the overall landscape.

Patio
My old pool and everyone's pool that I knew as a child had brushed concrete patios. I have asked everyone I can think of about brushed concrete and they all act like I am crazy. I am told that I can do stamped concrete or aggregate, but not brushed concrete. My husband thinks that brushed concrete looks industrial or commercial, but I feel the exact same way about stamped. Neither of us like the feel of aggregate on our feet. We both like the price of all of the concrete options especially because we expect to have around 1500 sf of patio. We love the look of Travertine, but it will blow the budget and I am not sure how I feel about the maintenance.

Waterline Tile
Based on what I have gleaned from other threads, it seems like dark or shiny tile will look dirty more quickly then light or matte tile. I assume that larger tiles with less grout are also easier to maintain. In terms of color I can blend it in with the coping, the PebbleSheen color, or do something entirely different. I originally wanted glass tile with lots of shimmer, but I am having doubts. One, because it might look too modern. Two, because I like materials that look clean even when they are not.

Furniture
Is there any furniture material that you can reasonably leave out all winter? If not, everything will have to go down the bulkhead into the basement and therefore needs to be somewhat lightweight so that we can carry it in and out every season.

Pool
16 x 40 ft gunite
3.5 to 5.5 ft deep
PebbleSheen Ocean Blue
Paramount automatic pool cleaner
Saltwater system
Aqua Comfort Heat Pump
Aqualink

Spa
8 x 8 ft gunite
3 ft deep
PebbleSheen Ocean Blue
Sta-Rite 400,000 BTU LP Heater

I am still trying to figure out all of the equipment...

The drawing below is a little out of date. We extended the pool length by two feet, changed the stairs to stacked squares, extended the bench to run the full length of the pool, and we are definitely extending the patio up from the right of the stairs. Our pool and spa have been excavated and the next step is the install of the automatic cleaner.

Pool Drawing-v1.jpg

Look forward to learning more about pool ownership, and sharing our experience!

I have some granite as part of my pool deck area, blended with concrete sections. The granite is a sandblast type finish and the color is best described as dark grey with some red flecks. Looks light in color when dry, darkens significantly when wet. It's HOT on a sunny day compared to the concrete... which is also hot.

Hot for a Minnesotan might be 85 degrees!! ;) Isn't summer just three weeks of bad sledding?

But I jest, I'm sure it's hot as are many decking options.

Thanks everyone! We did look at granite, but for whatever reason it was even more expensive than Travertine. Wish we could have used the granite that we hit when excavating the pool for something useful on the project. Had to laugh at the irony of paying to haul it away :)

Any thoughts on furniture? Can you leave metal outside all winter if it is covered? I also like the look of the plastic wicker and I have seen some folding tables, but I wonder if the top gets all kinds of stuff stuck in it.

We've left some of our sling furniture from Sears (so not Sunbrella fabric) outside all year but it was under our pavilion so some protection. It has faded (not an issue) but hasn't torn yet. Some was put in a shed too. The frames are hollow aluminum and holding up pretty well to saltwater and rain.

Our table tops are pieces of large tile that drop in. I bring the tile pieces inside for winter because I'm afraid of them cracking. Agree on the wicker look tables. Hard to keep clean of think. I like being able to easily wipe off our tile.

Thanks everyone! We did look at granite, but for whatever reason it was even more expensive than Travertine. Wish we could have used the granite that we hit when excavating the pool for something useful on the project. Had to laugh at the irony of paying to haul it away :)

Any thoughts on furniture? Can you leave metal outside all winter if it is covered? I also like the look of the plastic wicker and I have seen some folding tables, but I wonder if the top gets all kinds of stuff stuck in it.

We've been looking at patio furniture too and looking for options that you can leave out and not have to store. One of the best we've seen is the poly wood furniture that's made out of recycled plastic. The brand we're looking at is Berlin Gardens, it's made by the amish and really well made. It comes with a 20 yr warranty against fading, cracking, workmanship, etc. Really great company from what I've researched and their furniture looks really nice. They make adirondack chairs that you can order in all different colors along with matching chaise, dinner sets, etc.

Home | Berlin Gardens

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Beautiful design.. Can't wait to see the build! New England.. You could either have it built really fast or many delays.. I think we are the only part of the country where Mother Nature can't decided if in April it's August weather or in June need winter jackets! [emoji23] not sure how far you are from CT but there is a great outdoor furniture store here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Our table tops are pieces of large tile that drop in. I bring the tile pieces inside for winter because I'm afraid of them cracking. Agree on the wicker look tables. Hard to keep clean of think. I like being able to easily wipe off our tile.

I love the look of tile for table tops. Easy to clean is key! I want to spend my time in the pool, not doing "housework" :)

We've been looking at patio furniture too and looking for options that you can leave out and not have to store. One of the best we've seen is the poly wood furniture that's made out of recycled plastic. The brand we're looking at is Berlin Gardens, it's made by the amish and really well made. It comes with a 20 yr warranty against fading, cracking, workmanship, etc. Really great company from what I've researched and their furniture looks really nice. They make adirondack chairs that you can order in all different colors along with matching chaise, dinner sets, etc.

Home | Berlin Gardens

Thanks for the recommendation. I have been looking at this online and it might be the perfect fit for our dining area. Love that it's recycled and their designs are traditional without being boring or stuffy.

Beautiful design.. Can't wait to see the build! New England.. You could either have it built really fast or many delays.. I think we are the only part of the country where Mother Nature can't decided if in April it's August weather or in June need winter jackets! [emoji23] not sure how far you are from CT but there is a great outdoor furniture store here.

Thanks! Yours is looking great. I love your pavers and may borrow the idea if Travertine doesn't work out. Our PB had suggested Unilock Beacon Hill, but the colors aren't quite right for us. We are located near Worcester so CT is fairly close. They are here today installing the Paramount system. If all goes as planned (ha ha) they will gunite by the end of the week.

Second day since the project started that nobody was here to work. Frustrating when it's a beautiful day, but I assume par for the course. Here are some photos of what has been done so far...

9ca03cc349b7698e0758cb5e3197e4a6.jpg

3cf37a4564efb0a83c9d7c2038ac2b47.jpg

45482b2630968b05d18b0340b3799905.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Second day since the project started that nobody was here to work. Frustrating when it's a beautiful day, but I assume par for the course.

Yes, unfortunately. It's almost universally at least a little more frustrating experience than you would hope.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.