Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: What FC to mantain at

1. Back To Top    #1
    San Antonio, TX

What FC to mantain at

So I am coming off a SLAM for about a week now. My CYA is at 40, so my FC needs to be 5. I guess you can say I am a little gun shy about letting it drift down to 5, because before my last SLAM I thought I was maintaining FC right and next thing I know my pool is green. I measure and add LC at night. My daily loss is around 3. So at night, should I be get the FC to be 8, so by the next day, it goes no lower than 5? Just making sure I am approaching this right. I have been maintaining the FC between 7-11, for reasons noted above.

15k gallon IG plaster, 26x39 at widest points, sort of shaped like the great state of Texas!
    B2854 Pentair Challenger 1.5 HP single speed motor
    Tagelus TA-60 Sand Filter, Polaris 280, TF-100

2. Back To Top    #2
    Cincinnati, OH

Re: What FC to mantain at

That sounds like the approach I take. From the time I add in the evening, I want my chlorine level at my target level by the same time the next evening. My target is 7 so I aim for 10 each evening. Sometimes the next evening, my FC will be 8 and sometimes it will be 6. Depends on how many people have been in the pool that day. My goal is to never allow it to get to absolute minimum for my CYA.
    27' AG 18K Gallons ~ Cartridge Filter ~ Pentair 1.5 HP Pump

3. Back To Top    #3
    Tucson, AZ

Re: What FC to mantain at

With a CYA of 40ppm, your minimum FC is 3ppm ... so there is no need to try to keep it above 5ppm at all times (although doing so will not hurt anything other than a little higher ppm loss to the sun).
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!