Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: How often do you need to drain your pool?

1. Back To Top    #1

Atlanta Ga

How often do you need to drain your pool?

I have not drained my pool since I first filled it when I bought this house 5 years ago. The water is gradually replaced by rain and hose and evaporation, but I have never drained it and refilled it. Everything seems fine. Is there any reason to drain and refill?
    36 x 18 oval pool, inground, plaster pool.
    27000 gallons
    1 hp pump. Sand filter
    Pool built in 1971.

2. Back To Top    #2
    South-Central Texas, Marion/San Antonio

Re: How often do you need to drain your pool?

No need to drain it unless the CYA or CH levels were not managed properly allowing them to get too high.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

3. Back To Top    #3
    Mexico, MO

Drain and refill is usually what a pool store will tell you to do when they are out of ideas on what new chemical potion to sell you, that won't do any more than the rest of the junk they've already gotten you to buy.

No need to do it if you are still keeping your pool maintained the way we teach here.
    15'x48" 4500 gallon Intex pool, buried 1.5 ft. Pac-Fab Dynamo 3/4 hp pump. Hayward S180T sand filter, bought used. Taylor K-2006 test kit. Rocket mass heater based wood fired pool heater.

4. Back To Top    #4
    Mod Squad
    DFW, TX

Nope, I filled mine summer of 2012 and it still has some 2012 water in it. I've never drained any water from my pool.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

5. Back To Top    #5
    Tucson, AZ

I will probably have to replace my water every 4 years or so just because the CH rises up to 150ppm per year just due to evaporation.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!