Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: ATTN: Houston Peeps - CYA question

1. Back To Top    #1

ATTN: Houston Peeps - CYA question

I am wondering if others in the Houston area ever have issues maintaining CYA levels UP. For years I've cared for my pool with the BBB method and it has always ran low CYA numbers (I've always had to add as needed). So this year I tried something different. In January, the CYA was pretty much non-existent, so I decided to start using TriChlor tabs as the sole primary source of chlorine. However, the levels never climbed up like I thought they would. Here we are, six months later and I can still see the dot at 30.

The weather has been crazy- much rain to high temperatures in a matter of days. The pool did overflow on one occasion but I don't think it was significant enough, plus the CYA levels never were over 30. I am not necessarily complaining (I know the problems that come with a high CYA), I'm just curious as to why this is happening.

20,000 gal. Pebble Tec
    FC: 4
    CC: 0
    pH: 7.6
    TA: 60
    CH: 280
    CYA: less than 30
    Water Temp: 90
    TFT FAS/DPD chlorine test
    Taylor K2005 for everything else

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: ATTN: Houston Peeps - CYA question

Overflowed once,----but how many times did you catch it before it did and actually pump it down?
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

3. Back To Top    #3

woodyp, not sure I understand.

4. Back To Top    #4

TFP Guide

Can you look up the amount of rain you've received since January? That will give you an idea of how much water was really
    Added.
    If you have an idea of how many tablets you've used, you can enter it in pool math to see how much it should have raised your CYA.
    26' X 52" Intex Ultra Frame. Intex Sand Filter
    26' X 52 Intex Ultra Frame Install
    You can lead a horse to (clear) water, but you can't force him to swim in it!

5. Back To Top    #5

PAGirl, each 20# bucket of tabs should increase the CYA in my pool by 67 according to the Pool Calculator. It has rained lots over the past couple of months, but I noted the same issue in years past when we've had droughts. I wonder if CYA breaks down in hot weather.

6. Back To Top    #6

TFP Guide

I ve read it does somewhat, but was thinking it wasn't a significant amount.

Looks like you've had nearly 30" of rain since Jan. that's a significant amount of water.
    26' X 52" Intex Ultra Frame. Intex Sand Filter
    26' X 52 Intex Ultra Frame Install
    You can lead a horse to (clear) water, but you can't force him to swim in it!

7. Back To Top    #7

Unfortunately, it IS accurate!

16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

8. Back To Top    #8

New pool, so not really a significant trend, but when the PB turned the pool over to me the CYA was at 90. In a couple of weeks after I started using bleach instead of pucks its come down to 30, but keep in mind that included several huge rainfalls. Not sure how it would do in drought.
    2016 Build: 32x8 Gunite, 6,700 gallon IG pool including 6x8 spa and 6x8 tanning ledge w/ 2 bubblers. 32' raised wall with two sheer descent water features. Travertine Coping w/ split faced Travertine on raised wall face. 2HP VS Jandy pump, 400k heater, Rainbow Chlorinator, 4 Colored LED Lights. 459sqft spray deck plus. IAqualink remote, Polarus 9350 Robot Cleaner.

9. Back To Top    #9

I lost 30-40 CYA from rain this year in San Antonio. Most of that was April - May.

Free form 17X30. 14,500 Gal. Pentair sand filter and 1.5 hp pump. Aqua-Rite SWCG. TF-100 Test Kit w/Speed Stir