Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Check my Borates math Please

1. Back To Top    #1

Check my Borates math Please

The ounce/pound/gallon/boxes/by weight/by volume conversions in the Pool Math is killing me. Everything has a different unit of volume. I think I got it, but thought I would ask the question anyway.

Is this a correct equation?

55lb Bucket of granular Boric Acid from Duda = 18 Boxes* Mule Team + 5 gallons 31.45% MA?

* 17.7 boxes actually, but I can't buy a .7 box
    25 + year pool owner. Current pool (going on 11th year) - 38K gallon in ground Gunite/White Plaster, Spillover Spa, Hayward Cartridge Filter, Hayward 450k BTU NG Heater, Hayward Goldline Aqua Logic control with T-Cell-15 Salt Water Cell, Dolphin Explorer.
    You Need: Bleach, a A Test Kit & a Bookmark to "Pool School". Now what's your question?

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Check my Borates math Please

That's what I got also. Made my brain hurt though

Are you trying to figure cost? Which one is cheaper then? That 38K gallons is killing you. But I bet it's worth every gallon
    15,000 gallon free form Viking fiberglass pool. Hayward Star-Clear Plus C12002 cartridge filter. Hayward Swim Pure Plus T-15 SWG. Testing with TF-100 Kit. 2 speed 1.5HP Supreme pump. Dolphin Nautilus robotic cleaner

3. Back To Top    #3

I am. Coming out with $86 shipped with DudaDiesel or about $115 shopping at Lowes and Walmart. (7.88 per gallon MA & 4.17 per box Borax)

But the majority of posts here seem to say the Borax/MA tends to be cheaper. So I've convinced I am not comparing apples to apples.
    25 + year pool owner. Current pool (going on 11th year) - 38K gallon in ground Gunite/White Plaster, Spillover Spa, Hayward Cartridge Filter, Hayward 450k BTU NG Heater, Hayward Goldline Aqua Logic control with T-Cell-15 Salt Water Cell, Dolphin Explorer.
    You Need: Bleach, a A Test Kit & a Bookmark to "Pool School". Now what's your question?

4. Back To Top    #4

Go with the Boric Acid .... so much easier to add. And apparently the cost is very competitive now
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

5. Back To Top    #5

Be careful with the 20 Mule Team Borax. They reduced the box size from 76 ounces to 65 ounces. Poolmath only shows the 76 ounce box size.
    Free-form concrete walls with vinyl liner, 18,000 gallon capacity, Jandy 1.5HP e-Pump, Jandy DEV48 DE filter (using cellulose media), Jandy AE2500 heat pump, Jandy Aqualink Power Center with 14-blade cell kit and Jandy PDA-P8 wireless control system.

6. Back To Top    #6

I'm shocked that the Boric Acid is cheaper. But happy though, because that is all that I have ever used. And good catch on the 65 oz. boxes now poolneophyte!
    15,000 gallon free form Viking fiberglass pool. Hayward Star-Clear Plus C12002 cartridge filter. Hayward Swim Pure Plus T-15 SWG. Testing with TF-100 Kit. 2 speed 1.5HP Supreme pump. Dolphin Nautilus robotic cleaner

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by poolneophyte View Post
    Be careful with the 20 Mule Team Borax. They reduced the box size from 76 ounces to 65 ounces. Poolmath only shows the 76 ounce box size.
    Not to knock PoolMath, but don't ever rely on the "box" or "jug" conversions. Manufacturers change packaging all the time. It used to be that bleach was sold by the 128 fl. oz gallon. Clorox unilaterally decided a gallon is now 121 fl. oz.

Vote "YES" on converting to the metric system!!

Matt
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner Dolphin S300i robot, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates