Start up after Resurfacing Q's

jbailey895

Apr 25, 2016
Carlsbad, CA
Hi guys, I've read through most of the stickies, just want to make sure I'm getting this right. I have a 30+ yr old pool that we just remodeled, and I started adding CYA earlier this week, about a lb a day. I ran into a problem with DE entering the pool, so I replaced the grids in im Hayward 4820 DE filter yesterday. I charged the DE with about 6 lbs of DE last night, and put some more CYA in last night.

This morning, I put another 1.5 lbs of CYA in through the filter, but then read about the sock approach? Should I literally fill granular CYA into a gym sock and put it in the pool above a return line?

Also, cheated and couldn't resist pouring a gallon of chlorine in the pool this am. I read somewhere that its not good to introduce CYA and CL at the same time?

I "thought" I ordered the TFP test kit last week, but didn't press the "buy" button, so I bought some generic test strips at HD. My PB had the PH fairly high for a week to cure the plaster, its about 7.8 to 8 right now, so was planning on putting in .5 gal of muriatic this morning as well, but how far away am I supposed to space the chemical applications?

I think I need to be less enthusiastic and more methodical with this, but its looking to be a great, sunny weekend and I want to get in the pool with the kiddo :)

Thanks for any help,
Joel

Hello Joel!
then read about the sock approach? Should I literally fill granular CYA into a gym sock and put it in the pool above a return line?
Yep! See the following: To increase CYA via granular stabilizer, place the required amount as calculated by the Poolmath calculator into a white sock and place in the poolside skimmer basket. For those concerned about suction flow to the pump, suspending the sock near a return jet or from a floating device will also suffice. Best never to allow undissolved granules to rest directly against the pool surface. Squeeze the sock periodically to help it dissipate. Once dissolved, consider your CYA adjusted to that programmed (target) level. CYA test readings should show a rise in 24-48 hours, however some pools may experience a longer delay to fully register. Best to confirm final CYA in about 5-7 days before adding any more stabilizer/conditioner.

I read somewhere that its not good to introduce CYA and CL at the same time?
Not true. You don't want to add bleach and "muriatic" acid at the same time. :)

As for your test strip question ... I would not base any chemical adjustments off of those readings. If you want, while waiting on your TF-100 to arrive, you can zip-over to Wal-Mart and get one of their inexpensive HTH test kits with the red reagent drops to test pH. That's better than the strips. At least that should hold you over for a few days.

OK, thanks Tex ;-) I have a 16,000 gal pool, my PB told me 6 lbs of CYA to get a good operating level, I'll re-ceck that agains the calculator, as he's been off on most chemical estimates thus far. . . Oh, and I do have the red reagent thingy for PH, so I'll check that, and do some muriatic to get the PH down for swimming purposes. Cheers and thanks.

Also, opinions on whether I should wait to put salt in for my SWG, or wait til I get the ph and FC dailed in first? I bought a bunch of liquid CL to make sure I keep everything in check. In so cal, its been pretty hot lately. Just found a generic kit I had, CL is about 2.5 and PH is about 7.4, thought it'd be waay higher. I think I'm gonna get wet this afternoon :)

Generally we at TFP do not add salt or use the SWG with new plaster within the first 30 days. HERE is the TFP start-up page that you can refer to for some basic guidance. As with all new pool builds/plaster work, confirm anything you plan on doing with your contractor to protect any warranty work. Good luck!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.