Rail causes slight tingling shock

I recently converted to salt and once we started swimming this year, we noticed a slight tingling shock when exiting the pool (touching the rail and water at the same time). There is almost no DC voltage at all, but there is 1.1 AC Volts. I turned the power off at the panel in the house and the panel at the pool then unhooked all of my bonding lugs and the voltage is still there so I am not worried that it is due to electrical line leakage, but it is still a nuisance. Any help would be great.

Hi, you may have a serious problem with the bonding on your pool. Have you reported the problem to your electric service provider? The problem could be on their end or on your end.

I am not quite sure how it could be related to the power company since I disconnected all power from the panel and bonding and still see the voltage. Can you help me understand what you suspect?

Hi, you may have a serious problem with the bonding on your pool. Have you reported the problem to your electric service provider? The problem could be on their end or on your end.

They could very well have a fault in the service drop at the pole to your panel or a pole at your neighbors, etc. I will not try to pretend to understand all the possibilities but they can be the cause of stray voltage and they usually inspect things for free. It is a good starting point.

You,actually have two problems-

- Stray voltage that may come for a distance (bad power company transformer, ect)

- defect in the bonding system of your pool

This is the exact problem bonding is designed to eliminate. When the bonding system works, all metal objects in/around the pool and the pool water itself are tied together electrically. They balance electrically and you can not should not have voltage flow between two parts. In your case either the water or handrail do not seem to,be properly connected to the bonding grid.

You should be making to calls, one to the power company to identify the stray voltage and fix it and an electrician who understands pool bonding to figure out what is wrong with your bond.

Thanks. I suspect that my rail has poor bonding. I do have continuity to the bonding circuit, BUT it may be intermittent since the rail is stuck in place due to the previous owner not taking it out regularly.

You,actually have two problems-

- Stray voltage that may come for a distance (bad power company transformer, ect)

- defect in the bonding system of your pool

This is the exact problem bonding is designed to eliminate. When the bonding system works, all metal objects in/around the pool and the pool water itself are tied together electrically. They balance electrically and you can not should not have voltage flow between two parts. In your case either the water or handrail do not seem to,be properly connected to the bonding grid.

You should be making to calls, one to the power company to identify the stray voltage and fix it and an electrician who understands pool bonding to figure out what is wrong with your bond.

You may be correct but the difference in conductivity between a salt pool and plain fresh water is not that great.

You or your electrician needs to conduct this test: Swimming Pool Equipotential Bonding [Part 3 of 3, Testing], (28min:39sec) - YouTube

As Tim points out you have two problems: Bad bonding and stray voltage.

The most important things are the water bond, the deck bond and the railings. If there is no bonding between the three then persons entering and exiting the pool will feel it and may be injured.

I am guessing that you don't have children using your pool. They usually feel electrical shock at lower levels because they do not have the mass of adults.

Anyway you need to get the voltage source checked out by your power company and the incomplete pool bonding checked out by an experienced electrician.

Find a good local pool builder and ask them to refer an electrician that can help you.

Also, contact the power company to see if they can help.

What is your ground water situation?

Is there anything near your property (within 1,000 feet) that would use or carry a lot of power or use 3 phase power (like a commercial property)?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thanks. I suspect that my rail has poor bonding. I do have continuity to the bonding circuit, BUT it may be intermittent since the rail is stuck in place due to the previous owner not taking it out regularly.

where is this continuity referenced to. Is it the bonding grid, or the water? Clamp onto the rail and check for voltage to the water. I suspect you do not have a good bond with your water.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.