Cal-Hypo vs Liguid Chlorine in Vinyl Pool

poolneophyte

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 1, 2009
Long Island, NY
A local pool supply store is selling 1LB bags of 65% cal-hypo granules or 1Gal jugs of 6% chlorinating liquid for $1 each plus tax. Last season I bought 12 of each and used cal-hypo for the first time. According to Poolmath, 1LB of 65% cal-hypo raises FC by 4.3, CH by 3 and salt by 4.4 in my 18,000 gallon pool. One gallon of 6% chlorinating liquid raises FC by 3.4 and salt by 5.6 and adds no CH. Our fill water adds very little CH and our level is often 30PPM or so.

Since CH does not really matter in a vinyl lined pool, as long as I stay within the TFP recommended range of 0-300PPM, I see using cal-hypo over chlorinating liquid a better option. I'm not saying to use it as my primary method of chlorinating but rather as a supplement to my SWG when I have a heavy bather load or to perform a SLAM (if needed). Also, the cal-hypo is stabilized and wont degrade as quickly as the liquid. It is also more environmentally friendly with a lot less plastic than the gallon bottles.

Is my logic sound?

Your thinking is correct. Cal-hypo can be used in a pool like yours as long as you understand your calcium levels and test regularly.

Cal-hypo can also be about 1/6th the volume/weight of an equivalent amount of chlorinating liquid when calculated on an available chlorine basis. So it is a very compact form of chlorine. Unfortunately for those of us in dry climates with high CH water, the benefits of cal-hypo are limited.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It seems like a much better option for me especially at $1.00 + tax per pound. The store runs this sale a couple of times per season and I just saw that it is on again. I going to pick up a couple of dozen bags.

At that rate, I'd buy it by the pallet :D

I'd have to add 85 pounds of 65% cal-hypo (in one pool season) to raise my CH to the upper limit of the TFP suggested range for a vinyl lined pool! And, that's not taking filter backwashes and other loss of water into account. As a supplemental source of chlorine, this is perfect for me. As long as my SWG keeps working, my days of buying cases of liquid are behind me.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
That's odd. I put it there when I first joined the forum and don't know how it disappeared. I'll add it back in.

Where on LI? I'm originally from Suffolk County, Setauket area (love the AMC's series "Turn" as I know all of the Setauket locations they refer to...)

The Smithtown Bull was always a source of giggles for us as kids because you'd drive by it and see the bull's...well...ummm...ya' know. Mom would always shush us but dad egged us on which usually got him a slap in the arm and groan of disgust from my mother.

The Smithtown Bull was always a source of giggles for us as kids because you'd drive by it and see the bull's...well...ummm...ya' know. Mom would always shush us but dad egged us on which usually got him a slap in the arm and groan of disgust from my mother.

Funny you should mention that. I have two girls and usually hear giggles as we drive by the bull. I've heard (but never saw) that every so often, the bulls "package" gets painted as a prank. Even funnier is the thought of a Town employee laying under it trying to remove the paint! :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.