Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Cal-Hypo vs Liguid Chlorine in Vinyl Pool

1. Back To Top    #1

Cal-Hypo vs Liguid Chlorine in Vinyl Pool

A local pool supply store is selling 1LB bags of 65% cal-hypo granules or 1Gal jugs of 6% chlorinating liquid for $1 each plus tax. Last season I bought 12 of each and used cal-hypo for the first time. According to Poolmath, 1LB of 65% cal-hypo raises FC by 4.3, CH by 3 and salt by 4.4 in my 18,000 gallon pool. One gallon of 6% chlorinating liquid raises FC by 3.4 and salt by 5.6 and adds no CH. Our fill water adds very little CH and our level is often 30PPM or so.

Since CH does not really matter in a vinyl lined pool, as long as I stay within the TFP recommended range of 0-300PPM, I see using cal-hypo over chlorinating liquid a better option. I'm not saying to use it as my primary method of chlorinating but rather as a supplement to my SWG when I have a heavy bather load or to perform a SLAM (if needed). Also, the cal-hypo is stabilized and wont degrade as quickly as the liquid. It is also more environmentally friendly with a lot less plastic than the gallon bottles.

Is my logic sound?
    Free-form concrete walls with vinyl liner, 18,000 gallon capacity, Jandy 1.5HP e-Pump, Jandy DEV48 DE filter (using cellulose media), Jandy AE2500 heat pump, Jandy Aqualink Power Center with 14-blade cell kit and Jandy PDA-P8 wireless control system.

2. Back To Top    #2

Cal-Hypo vs Liguid Chlorine in Vinyl Pool

Your thinking is correct. Cal-hypo can be used in a pool like yours as long as you understand your calcium levels and test regularly.

Cal-hypo can also be about 1/6th the volume/weight of an equivalent amount of chlorinating liquid when calculated on an available chlorine basis. So it is a very compact form of chlorine. Unfortunately for those of us in dry climates with high CH water, the benefits of cal-hypo are limited.

Matt
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner Dolphin S300i robot, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Cal-Hypo vs Liguid Chlorine in Vinyl Pool

It seems like a much better option for me especially at $1.00 + tax per pound. The store runs this sale a couple of times per season and I just saw that it is on again. I going to pick up a couple of dozen bags.
    Free-form concrete walls with vinyl liner, 18,000 gallon capacity, Jandy 1.5HP e-Pump, Jandy DEV48 DE filter (using cellulose media), Jandy AE2500 heat pump, Jandy Aqualink Power Center with 14-blade cell kit and Jandy PDA-P8 wireless control system.

4. Back To Top    #4

I would certainly use it. I would test your CH at least every couple weeks to make sure it's not getting out of hand. TFP is about doing what's best for your pool and most economical. In your case, it makes sense to use it.
    Joel - TFP Moderator - Minnesota - **Become a TFP Supporter!** Helpful Links: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry - SLAM Procedure - Chlorine/CYA Chart
    40x20 Pool: 32K Gallons * Vinyl * Bleach Chlorination * Hayward S270T Sand Filter * Pentair SuperFlo 1 HP * Teledyne/Laars Heater * AquaVac Tigershark * TF-100 w/ SpeedStir
    Isolated Spa - 345 Gallons

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by poolneophyte View Post
    It seems like a much better option for me especially at $1.00 + tax per pound. The store runs this sale a couple of times per season and I just saw that it is on again. I going to pick up a couple of dozen bags.
    At that rate, I'd buy it by the pallet

Matt
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner Dolphin S300i robot, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates

6. Back To Top    #6

I'd have to add 85 pounds of 65% cal-hypo (in one pool season) to raise my CH to the upper limit of the TFP suggested range for a vinyl lined pool! And, that's not taking filter backwashes and other loss of water into account. As a supplemental source of chlorine, this is perfect for me. As long as my SWG keeps working, my days of buying cases of liquid are behind me.

7. Back To Top    #7

Please add your location (City, State or City, Country) to your profile as described HERE as it will help us help you.

Your climate plays a large roll in the advice we provide.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

8. Back To Top    #8

I wish I had this option! Out of the tap our water is already 300 ppm CH or better.
    Joel - TFP Moderator - Minnesota - **Become a TFP Supporter!** Helpful Links: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry - SLAM Procedure - Chlorine/CYA Chart
    40x20 Pool: 32K Gallons * Vinyl * Bleach Chlorination * Hayward S270T Sand Filter * Pentair SuperFlo 1 HP * Teledyne/Laars Heater * AquaVac Tigershark * TF-100 w/ SpeedStir
    Isolated Spa - 345 Gallons

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by jblizzle View Post
    Please add your location (City, State or City, Country) to your profile as described HERE as it will help us help you.

Your climate plays a large roll in the advice we provide.
    That's odd. I put it there when I first joined the forum and don't know how it disappeared. I'll add it back in.

10. Back To Top    #10

Thanks!!!

Yup, your area of the country is certainly able to use chlorine methods that many of us can not.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter

11. Back To Top    #11

Man, a deal like that is almost as good as a lottery ticket!
    Divin Dave,
    IG Vinyl, 15' x 30', 3 1/2' - 6' deep, Oval, ~15K gal, Intelliclor IC40, Intelliflo VS pump, Clean and Clear 420 Filter, auto-fill-disabled, Retrofit LED Color Light, Dolphin Nautilus Robot, TF100 Test Kit, Taylor K1766 Salt Test Kit, Tftestkit Pressure Gauge.
    www.tftestkits.net Experience- it's what's learned just after you needed it most !!

12. Back To Top    #12

Quote Originally Posted by poolneophyte View Post
    That's odd. I put it there when I first joined the forum and don't know how it disappeared. I'll add it back in.
    Where on LI? I'm originally from Suffolk County, Setauket area (love the AMC's series "Turn" as I know all of the Setauket locations they refer to...)

Matt

13. Back To Top    #13

Matt,

Town of Smithtown. I used to work in Setauket and also watched the Turn series to see if I could spot local places.

14. Back To Top    #14

I just finished watching the TURN seasons available on Netflix
    Jason, TFP Moderator

15. Back To Top    #15

The Smithtown Bull was always a source of giggles for us as kids because you'd drive by it and see the bull's...well...ummm...ya' know. Mom would always shush us but dad egged us on which usually got him a slap in the arm and groan of disgust from my mother.

Matt

16. Back To Top    #16

How are you dispersing the cal-hypo?

Just dumping it in will bleach the liner won't it?
    16x32 IG Vinyl, 13,000 Gals. Hayward S-244T sand filter, SP2810X15 pump
    (1.5 HP motor) Raypak PR266AEN (266k btu) gas heater. TF-100 Test Kit.
    Dolphin E10 Cleaning Robot.

17. Back To Top    #17

Quote Originally Posted by JoyfulNoise View Post
    The Smithtown Bull was always a source of giggles for us as kids because you'd drive by it and see the bull's...well...ummm...ya' know. Mom would always shush us but dad egged us on which usually got him a slap in the arm and groan of disgust from my mother.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Funny you should mention that. I have two girls and usually hear giggles as we drive by the bull. I've heard (but never saw) that every so often, the bulls "package" gets painted as a prank. Even funnier is the thought of a Town employee laying under it trying to remove the paint!