Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Leveling question - first pool 😀

1. Back To Top    #1

Leveling question - first pool 😀

Installing a Coleman 16x48 - just started filling the soil. Do you shovel out the old dirt, till again and then smooth out? Also what exactly are pavers?

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Leveling question - first pool 😀

Yes, you need to dig down the high side of the dirt until you level out with the low side. You will want to make sure that your base is solid. I went with a layer of crushed stone and compacted down. Whichever type of ground you have, compacting is a very good idea.

Pavers that many people use are the concrete blocks used for patios. I personally used 4"x 8"x 16" blocks found in the masonry section of HD/Lowe's. They were cheaper than patio pavers and much stronger (and bigger which gives you some room for leg movement). These are placed underneath each leg of the pool for support. If these are not used the legs are bound to sink into the dirt causing an unlevel situation.

The pavers should be dug down level with the rest of the area.
    Intex 16 * 48 Ultra
    2650 Intex Sand Filter
    Hayward Thruwall Skimmer
    Hardplumbed in 2014
    TF100 Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

Thank you for the information I guess I'm confused about the whole paving concept- basically putting a brick under each leg(leveled of course) then proceed with foam sheets etc

4. Back To Top    #4

You got it.

Some people cut foam around the pavers. I personally run the foam to cover the pavers, works out great.
    Intex 16 * 48 Ultra
    2650 Intex Sand Filter
    Hayward Thruwall Skimmer
    Hardplumbed in 2014
    TF100 Test Kit

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by dmann View Post
    Installing a Coleman 16x48 - just started filling the soil. Do you shovel out the old dirt, till again and then smooth out? Also what exactly are pavers?
    Filling? Tilling? You want the ground to be as solid as possible.
    "...chemistry is not an exact science" -Mario Andrada, Rio 2016 Olympics spokesman
    21' x 52" Radiant Metric Round ~10K gal AGP with Hayward S180t pump/sand filter.
    Caldera (Watkins) Martinique 340 gallon installed in basement, Bromine and ozone.
    Taylor K-2006 test kit.

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by RyanMcC View Post
    Filling? Tilling? You want the ground to be as solid as possible.
    If you're filling, that pools going to be sinking.
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter

7. Back To Top    #7

Just make sure you compact the entire area completely. Just level will not cut it. You'll need a good solid base to set the pool on. I had everything perfectly level but I did not have a solid compacted base under the paver where the legs set. As the pool filled you could hear occasional bangs. Yep 65,000 pounds of water snapping 2" pavers. Lost about 75% of them. Take your time. It's worth the effort....
    Bob (AKA Schnozz)
    12 x 24 x 52 Intex Ultra Frame AGP, 8600 Gal; Pentair 2HP/2SP 150sqft Cartridge Filter; Hayward Through Wall Skimmer; Intex Automatic Cleaner (Fantastic); K-2006 Test Kit; Start-up 07/30/2015. First Time Pool Owner in SoCal.

8. Back To Top    #8

I'm with Casey. No filling. Start at lowest point and dig level the entire area. Undisturbed soil is what you want.
    13700 gal, 32'x16'x54" AG oval, vinyl, Echo Canyon II, 8500 series, Narrow Yard, Safety Fence & Stair, Sta-Rite Crystal Flow T-210WF, 44 GPM, Hayward SP1580TL 1HP Pump, Aqua Luminator, Festiva wedding cake steps, March 2006, TFT-100, Speed-Stir, Sample Sizer. Avatar Credit: TJ Townsend

9. Back To Top    #9

Tilling

- - - Updated - - -

Thank you- we finished and its just a tad off 1 5/8 inch. Bothers me some but for first timers we did alright