Set-up over grass

JPC24

Jun 23, 2016
Lynn, MA
I have a 15' x 36" Intex Easy Set pool. I was thinking of putting down about 3" of peat moss over the grass, topped off with 8 sheets of R-Tech 1 in. x 4 ft. x 8 ft. Insulation and then a Gorilla pad. Any thoughts on this?

I have a 15' x 36" Intex Easy Set pool. I was thinking of putting down about 3" of peat moss over the grass, topped off with 8 sheets of R-Tech 1 in. x 4 ft. x 8 ft. Insulation and then a Gorilla pad. Any thoughts on this?
You need a hard, level surface to put this pool on, peat moss is not going to cut it.

I would (did) remove the sod (layer of grass) and put your foam/pad on a nice hard, level base. That pool will weigh in at about 33,000 pounds when filled, and will most likely settle un-level as the peat moss is compacted to almost nothing.

Dom

Thank you Dom for your feedback, however the key words are "Easy Set", I want to do this as easy as possible, the pool will only be up for about 8 weeks, and then I will take it down for the winter. So I guess I will take my chances and hope for the best. Thanks again!

JPC24

I ended up putting down about 3" of peat moss (8 - 3 cubic feet bags) over the grass covering a 16' x 16' area, I then topped off the peat moss with 8 sheets of R-Tech 3/4 in. x 4 ft. x 8 ft. insulation taped at the seams. The 3/4" insulation was much more flexible then the R-Tech 1 in. x 4 ft. x 8 ft. insulation which was very stiff. I did not use the Gorilla pad because it was so thin and seemed like a waste of money, I am sending it back. I filled the pool and so far everything seems to be good. Set up time from start to finish, filling with garden hose (2,800 gallons) was about 8 hours. Grandchildren will have a blast today, Sunday!

JPC24

I ended up putting down about 3" of peat moss (8 - 3 cubic feet bags) over the grass covering a 16' x 16' area, I then topped off the peat moss with 8 sheets of R-Tech 3/4 in. x 4 ft. x 8 ft. insulation taped at the seams. The 3/4" insulation was much more flexible then the R-Tech 1 in. x 4 ft. x 8 ft. insulation which was very stiff. I did not use the Gorilla pad because it was so thin and seemed like a waste of money, I am sending it back. I filled the pool and so far everything seems to be good. Set up time from start to finish, filling with garden hose (2,800 gallons) was about 8 hours. Grandchildren will have a blast today, Sunday!

JPC24
My key word here is 'safety'.

Please be safe, especially with small children involved. The pool needs to remain within 1 inch of being level or the force of 33,000 pounds of water will mis-shape the pool and eventually cause either a (best case) sudden spill over or (worse case) failure of the liner. When this happens the rush of water can be violent enough to pull small children under water, even when using a floatie.

This is why both the manufacturer & TFP recommend the pool be setup on a firm, stable base & within 1" of level.

Good luck. Be safe & keep us posted.

Dom

Thanks again for your feedback, everything looks good so far, it is level within the 1", safety IS MOST important! The Grandchildren had a blast Sunday (2 six year old cousins, and 8 & 9 year old; have 7 Grandchildren total, also 2 infants, and a 12 year old).

JPC24

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.