borax for stabilizer

nlindelldc

LifeTime Supporter
Mar 21, 2015
Corpus Christi, Texas
So I have a situation that I am preparing for and am using PoolMath to crunch some numbers but I just want to confirm first. By the way, this is not my pool in my signature.

Details:

10,000 gallon pool that I am currently SLAMMING, hope to finish tonight. Before the SLAM, PH was 7.2. CYA is 35. According to PoolMath, when I am done with the SLAM of course, I need to add 60 oz. of stabilizer to bring the CYA up to 80 (It's a SWG pool). Also according to PoolMath, that will lower my PH by 0.8, which would make my PH 6.4. I would then need to add 148 oz. of Borax to get it back to 7.2

That seems like an awful lot of Borax. Is it possible that the CYA will not actually lower the PH that much? 6.4 is awfully acidic. So my basic question is: Do I trust PoolMath and add exactly these amounts? Or should I add the CYA, retest PH, and go from there?

The pool math section entitled "Effects of Adding Chemicals" does not accurately predict pH changes for large additions of chemicals. You'll also note there's a warning there that states the numbers for pH are based on assumptions about the other pool water parameter.

Adding that much CYA will not change your pH that much. CYA is acidic but it's a relatively small amount being dispersed into a very large volume of water and it dissolves VERY slowly so the pH impact will be minimal at best.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WHEW. Thanks for the quick responses. I'm glad I asked before making a possibly huge mistake with someone else's pool :)

Man, just when you think you "know" everything. And, no, I haven't even tested the TA yet. Will do that first, add the CYA and let mix for a while (day-ish). Then measure PH before adjusting. Sound better?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.