Bronze Supporter
Jun 4, 2016
Marengo/IL
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Filled the pool and water was almost clear, just a little cloudy. Was working to raise CL level and raise Cya level. Then had a death in the family and left for three days. Power went out in storm and filter did not run for those three days. Just got back to find green water.

test with TF-100
CL 0
pH 8.2
CYA 0

what do I do now?

Without Chlorine, you probably have an algae bloom.

Your pH needs to be lowered, CYA needs to be raised to at least 30, and FC needs to be raised to at least 12 and bumped to that level as often as possible. In other words, a SLAM. Your pump should be running 24/7 throughout the process as well.

I'm curious though. If you were working on raising your CYA before you were called away, how is it still zero? CYA does not evaporate. Are you sure you are doing the test correctly? On the other hand, if you added CYA, it may not register for up to a week, so keep that in mind if you add any more.

What are your TA and CC readings?

Without Chlorine, you probably have an algae bloom.

Your pH needs to be lowered, CYA needs to be raised to at least 30, and FC needs to be raised to at least 12 and bumped to that level as often as possible. In other words, a SLAM. Your pump should be running 24/7 throughout the process as well.

I'm curious though. If you were working on raising your CYA before you were called away, how is it still zero? CYA does not evaporate. Are you sure you are doing the test correctly? On the other hand, if you added CYA, it may not register for up to a week, so keep that in mind if you add any more.

What are your TA and CC readings?

TA is 240
CC is 0

SHould I be SLAMming?

Calculator recommends 1 qt, 3 cups, 5 oz of bleach at 5.25% and 2 qts of stabilizer and 68 oz of muriatic acid. SLAM amounts are much higher

- - - Updated - - -

What is the best stabilizer to use?

SHould I be SLAMming?
In a word, Yes.

First thing you need to do is get your pH 7.5. Most SLAMs start at 7.2 but you indicate you have a CYA of 0. Stabilizer brings pH down and 64 oz. will bring is down by .46. Forget about pH once you start SLAMing. The readings are not accurate with FC>10. Also, forget about CC until your water clears up. Focus mainly on FC. In a couple days, test CYA again and readjust your FC SLAM level accordingly.

If your Liquid Chlorine is only 5.25%, you actually need over 4 gallons to get FC from 0 to 12 at 19,300 gallons of water. Once you are done with this batch, I'd try and find stronger bleach. Generic extra strength household bleach with no additives is 8.25% and can often be found for about $3.00/121 oz. jug. Liquid Chlorine (at 10% or more) can also be found in some locales for that amount. There is a 2016 Bleach Prices thread that you may want to check out.

Granular stabilizer is the most cost effective. Put it in a sock, tie the sock off, and either rig a hanger in front of a return jet or put the sock in the skimmer across the handle of the skimmer basket. Give the sock a squeeze every now and again to release the dissolved stabilizer.

Typing error. FC is 0.

I've added all the chlorine I have and will buy more tonight. I've started adding stabilizer. Will get more. Printing the SLAM instructions.

Is it reasonable to expect non-green water in a few days?

It depends. Some slams are complete in 48 hours (rare). Some take a month. All end with the passing criteria of clear water, CC =<0.5, an OCLT loss of =< 1.0, and include at least a little POP (Pool Owner Patience).

They are proably really itching to get in the water, but quite simply, it is okay after you meet the three SLAM criteria. Clear water at a minimum.

It is theoretically safe to swim in water with FC up to SLAM levels, but the swimmer load will really slow you progress. How does your water look this morning? Do you have test results? Can you tell a difference? Do you have pix?

It is safe to swim when
FC is above minimum and below shock level for your CYA, [FC/CYA][/FC/CYA]
PH is between 7.2 and 7.8
And the water is clear

We swam every day last summer while SLAMing, CYA at 70 and FC at 28. Much easier to brush the pool while you're in it!

Water is a little more clear but still green.

FC is 6
pH is still 8.2
CYA IS less than 20 but the black dot is less visible than yesterday.

Regarding the SLAM. I am asking you to confirm I am following the right steps, please.

Yesterday I added 1 and 3/4 gallons of bleach at 8.25%, 3 lbs of stabilizer (last one in sock hung from skimmer).

For Today >>
Chlorine/CYA chart says if CYA is 20* then FC should be 10 so I will add 109 oz of bleach at 8.25%
CYA - add 72 oz of stabilizer
pH - add 15 oz of 31.45% muriatic acid
Brush the sides and bottom of pool.
With the Hayward Xtream Filter do I have to take the filter out and wash it?

When I do the Chlorine Drop Test step 5 of TF-100, the water turns clear after a drop but in 5 seconds or so it turns pink again. When do i stop dropping? WHen it frst turns clear or when it stays clear after sitting a few second?

Am I on the right track?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Clean the filter when the pressure rises 20-25% above clean pressure.
Are you keeping track of how much CYA you are adding for a total to 30 ppm?
Are you dosing FC based on how much CYA you have added and the [FC/CYA][/FC/CYA]?
Test and add chlorine back to shock level 3 or 4 times a day or more.
Brush daily or more for dirty spots.

Yrs I am keeping track of CYA and chlorine added and every test result. I'm going to vacuum and brush. Pressure is up a little.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2 weeks later....

We SLAMmed and got a second cartridge for the filter so I can switch them out and always keep a clean one in the filter. Then, within 2 days were cloudy again. We have wedding cake stairs inside the pool to give my kids a safe spot and also to make it easier for my husband and I who have knee issues. The manufacturer provided huge resealable bags to load with sand bags to act as weight to keep stairs in place. Upon closer inspection I found algae growing around these bags inside the stairs. So the sand bags and the stairs are out of the pool. SLAMmed again with brushing and scrubbing. This morning we have crystal clear water and 2 nights in a row we have maintained the overnight chlorine test.

Current results:
FC = 7.5
CC = 1
pH = 7.8
CYA = 45
TA = 260

Next target is lowering pH, correct? 38 oz of muriatic acid will lower it to 7.5. Lowering pH can take several days, right? Then do I focus on lowering TA after that?

Reactions: TerryB1

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.