Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Can't find a solar cover reel with good reviews

1. Back To Top    #1

Can't find a solar cover reel with good reviews

Does anyone have any affordable solar covers that you're happy with? After endless research, everything short of a Rockys reel, which I cannot afford, gets bad reviews.

Sagging, needing 2 people to operate, etc.

I suppose I would like one with locking wheels but by now I'll take about anything.
    MY FIRST SEASON WITH A POOL - TFP SAVED MY LIFE
    21,000 Gallon Vinyl IGP (16*34.5*7.5) -- K-2006 Test Kit with a Speed Stir
    Hayward 1HP "Superpump" w/ Hayward S-200 High Rate Sand Filter, Checked in fall 2015
    3 Returns, no Main Drain -- Blue Wave Magni-Clear Solar Cover -- Mesh Winter Cover

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Can't find a solar cover reel with good reviews

Sorry, I don't have answers but I'm following as we'll need one in a few months too!

Started 5/31/16. 38'x23', 618 sqft., <14,000 gallons, 8' spa.Travertine coping. Raised beam w/3 sheers. Large sunshelf w/3 bubblers. SWG IC40, Pentair VSP, 520 cartridge, color LED lights, Easy-touch, screen logic, Maytronics S300i robot, and Wet Edge Prism Matrix finish (Deep Sea Blue with Indigo plaster). Build Thread: Another in Texas - Cypress Texas | MUD District | HOA Approval | Great Escapes Pools

3. Back To Top    #3

I just ordered this one. Looks really good and the price is not unreasonable plus free shipping.
    image.jpg
    15k Gal, Mt. Lake, Vinyl IG Pool.
    Built 2013/2014. 1.5 HP Jandy Pump
    Jandy SFTM25 Sand Filter.
    Taylor TF-100 kit

4. Back To Top    #4

I have the same one pictured above. Very happy with it. It is easier with two people, but i can use it alone. It just might require going side to side to get the cover to roll up evenly. I relate it to making the bed. My neighbor ordered the same one, but was shipped the wrong one and it had more pieces and bowed. They were very good about it and gave her full credit for the mistake without having to return it.
    IG 15,000 gal vinyl Grecian SW, Hayward SWG, Pentair whisper flow pump, sand filter, Aquacal ice breaker heat pump. Finished August 2015, screen enclosure, TF 100

5. Back To Top    #5

If you're handy and like DIY projects then you can build your own for WAY CHEAPER than anything you can purchase -

DIY Solar Cover Roller
    Matt
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner Dolphin S300i robot, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates