Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: How long for chlorine to drop down to target after reaching shock leve?l

1. Back To Top    #1

How long for chlorine to drop down to target after reaching shock leve?l

Had to bring my FC up to shock level yesterday after some raccoons used my pool for a toilet. I turned off the SWG and when I left for work today the test results were:

FC 22
    CC 0
    CYA 70

I am wondering about how long it should take to get the FC down to my normal level of 5. The pool gets full sun all day. We are having a pool party tomorrow and I would prefer to have the chlorine level be lower than it currently is.

Also, I usually don't smell the chlorine but since adding enough to bring it up to shock level I can. I though smelling chlorine meant it was burning off "bad stuff" but my CC is 0. I'm confused.
    Pool completed 3/21/2016
    8800 gallons, plaster 14' x 24', 3/4 hp Hayward pump, Hayward cartridge filter, Blue Essence T-5 SWG, Kreepy Krauly Kruiser, Taylor K-2006 test kit with Speedstir, Taylor K-1766 salt test and 250 sq. ft. of Heliocol solar panels with Pentair Solartouch control system

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: How long for chlorine to drop down to target after reaching shock leve?l

If you get full sun all day, the FC is likely to be in the mid-teens by this afternoon.

The smell is likely the last remnants of CC outgassing after you took care of the raccoon presents. At high FC levels, you can sometimes pick up more of the chlorine smell even in a clear, low CC pool.
    Joel - TFP Moderator - Minnesota - **Become a TFP Supporter!** Helpful Links: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry - SLAM Procedure - Chlorine/CYA Chart
    40x20 Pool: 32K Gallons * Vinyl * Bleach Chlorination * Hayward S270T Sand Filter * Pentair SuperFlo 1 HP * Teledyne/Laars Heater * AquaVac Tigershark * TF-100 w/ SpeedStir
    Isolated Spa - 345 Gallons

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by JVTrain View Post
    If you get full sun all day, the FC is likely to be in the mid-teens by this afternoon.

The smell is likely the last remnants of CC outgassing after you took care of the raccoon presents. At high FC levels, you can sometimes pick up more of the chlorine smell even in a clear, low CC pool.
    Thanks! Any recommendation on when I should turn on the SWG again? I'm still so new at this that I don't want to mess anything up for our first big pool party.
    Pool completed 3/21/2016
    8800 gallons, plaster 14' x 24', 3/4 hp Hayward pump, Hayward cartridge filter, Blue Essence T-5 SWG, Kreepy Krauly Kruiser, Taylor K-2006 test kit with Speedstir, Taylor K-1766 salt test and 250 sq. ft. of Heliocol solar panels with Pentair Solartouch control system

4. Back To Top    #4

It will drift down by tomorrow. Have a nice party!!
    17K Gallon,IG Vinyl,1hp Pentair Challenger,Pentair TA60 Sand Filter, Hayward Colorlogic,Re-lined 06-20-15, TF-100,SpeedStir,Lagunitas and Margaritas. Zappafan Pool Build

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by Flbeachluvr View Post
    Thanks! Any recommendation on when I should turn on the SWG again? I'm still so new at this that I don't want to mess anything up for our first big pool party.
    I'd turn it on when your FC reaches about the high level of your FC range. At your CYA, I believe that's 5 ppm, so when your FC hits 5-7 ppm, turn your SWG back on.
    Joel - TFP Moderator - Minnesota - **Become a TFP Supporter!** Helpful Links: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry - SLAM Procedure - Chlorine/CYA Chart
    40x20 Pool: 32K Gallons * Vinyl * Bleach Chlorination * Hayward S270T Sand Filter * Pentair SuperFlo 1 HP * Teledyne/Laars Heater * AquaVac Tigershark * TF-100 w/ SpeedStir
    Isolated Spa - 345 Gallons

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by JVTrain View Post
    I'd turn it on when your FC reaches about the high level of your FC range. At your CYA, I believe that's 5 ppm, so when your FC hits 5-7 ppm, turn your SWG back on.
    Perfect! Thanks so much for the info
    Pool completed 3/21/2016