Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: RS1000 for IG pools too?

1. Back To Top    #1

RS1000 for IG pools too?

I bought a 1 year-old Hayward RS1000 over the winter to replace my older-getting-noisier 3/4hp Dura-glas, and then discovered that it's made for AG pools. However, there are several people here who run the same pump for their IG pools. They are self-priming, but in what context, I wonder.

Is anyone familiar enough with this pump to advise if I should I sell it or keep it around for when my current pump fails?
    26K IG painted gunite / 24" Cristal-flo (prefilter) to Pentair Warrior DE filter / 1hp Hayward Super II / TF-100

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: RS1000 for IG pools too?

It's a self-priming pump and will work fine on your IG pool. How high above the water level is your equipment pad and how far from the pool?
    Joel - TFP Moderator - Minnesota - **Become a TFP Supporter!** Helpful Links: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry - SLAM Procedure - Chlorine/CYA Chart
    40x20 Pool: 32K Gallons * Vinyl * Bleach Chlorination * Hayward S270T Sand Filter * Pentair SuperFlo 1 HP * Teledyne/Laars Heater * AquaVac Tigershark * TF-100 w/ SpeedStir
    Isolated Spa - 345 Gallons

3. Back To Top    #3

Nice! The current pump is about 8 feet from the skimmer and less than a foot from the waterline.
    26K IG painted gunite / 24" Cristal-flo (prefilter) to Pentair Warrior DE filter / 1hp Hayward Super II / TF-100

4. Back To Top    #4

Your plumbing is likely 1.5" or 2" and that's a very short distance from the skimmer, not much elevation change. Fairly minimal head pressure to overcome with the pump. Should be fine.
    Joel - TFP Moderator - Minnesota - **Become a TFP Supporter!** Helpful Links: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry - SLAM Procedure - Chlorine/CYA Chart
    40x20 Pool: 32K Gallons * Vinyl * Bleach Chlorination * Hayward S270T Sand Filter * Pentair SuperFlo 1 HP * Teledyne/Laars Heater * AquaVac Tigershark * TF-100 w/ SpeedStir
    Isolated Spa - 345 Gallons

5. Back To Top    #5

It's 1.5" now, but I have to replace everything and I was thinking 2" to reduce head. It was a koi pond for the last 25 years so there are leaks everywhere from freezing. I lose about 3" overnight if I don't plug the skimmer completely. But I don't mind; we are in love with this pool.