Parameters: SWG Manual Guidelines vs. TFP Wisdom?

mollyo

May 13, 2016
Colchester,Vermont
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
CircuPool RJ-45 Plus
Just got the new Circupool RJ+30 installed for switching from chlorine tablets to SWG. Already did the SLAM and got the pool cleaned up.

My current test results:
pH= 7.5 (Had been running around 7.2 but finally got it up)
FC= 1.5 (I have kept the FC between 2 and 5 while we were figuring out how to set up the SWG)
CC= .5
CYA= 60
TA=70

Guideline for Ideal Water Chemistry Levels according to the Circupool Manual
FC= 1 - 3 ppm
pH= 7.2 - 7.8
TA= 100 - 200 ppm
CYA= 50 - 70

My gut is to trust TFP wisdom on SWG levels. I was surprised to see the recommendations for higher TA as well as lower CYA that are in the unit's manual.

Questions: Should I really increase the TA to 100?
Shouldn't I aim for 70 at a minimum for CYA?
Is FC<3 OK if I monitor and test the pool closely as I get this all going?
Big, big thanks for all your help!!!

The TA guidelines are just boiler-plate industry standards that all pool manufacturers cite for legal/warranty reasons. They are not based on the scientific facts of what TA is and how it works in pools. If you raised your TA to their suggested levels, you'd get excessive pH rise in the SWG and create lots of calcium scale inside the cell.

Just ignore it and use the methods we teach. My TA is always around 60ppm and I have NEVER had to clean my cell or had any issues whatsoever with FC production.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just setting up the SWG and saw that there are parameters labeled on the unit itself that are different from the manual!! Go figure.
On the unit itself: TA= 80 - 100
CYA= 60 - 80
FC= 1 - 3

I will follow TFP's sage advice. So thankful you folks are willing and take the time to help us all along. Absolutely couldn't do it without you

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.