Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Parameters: SWG Manual Guidelines vs. TFP Wisdom?

1. Back To Top    #1

Parameters: SWG Manual Guidelines vs. TFP Wisdom?

Just got the new Circupool RJ+30 installed for switching from chlorine tablets to SWG. Already did the SLAM and got the pool cleaned up.

My current test results:
    pH= 7.5 (Had been running around 7.2 but finally got it up)
    FC= 1.5 (I have kept the FC between 2 and 5 while we were figuring out how to set up the SWG)
    CC= .5
    CYA= 60
    TA=70

Guideline for Ideal Water Chemistry Levels according to the Circupool Manual
    FC= 1 - 3 ppm
    pH= 7.2 - 7.8
    TA= 100 - 200 ppm
    CYA= 50 - 70

My gut is to trust TFP wisdom on SWG levels. I was surprised to see the recommendations for higher TA as well as lower CYA that are in the unit's manual.

Questions: Should I really increase the TA to 100?
    Shouldn't I aim for 70 at a minimum for CYA?
    Is FC<3 OK if I monitor and test the pool closely as I get this all going?
    Big, big thanks for all your help!!!
    18' above ground, , Hayward Power Flo LX pump, Rainbow Lifeguard cartridge filter, newly purchase CircuPool RJ+30 SWG, TF100 test kit and trusty speed stir, solar blanket cover (in hopes of warming the pool up before August in VT!)

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Parameters: SWG Manual Guidelines vs. TFP Wisdom?

The TA guidelines are just boiler-plate industry standards that all pool manufacturers cite for legal/warranty reasons. They are not based on the scientific facts of what TA is and how it works in pools. If you raised your TA to their suggested levels, you'd get excessive pH rise in the SWG and create lots of calcium scale inside the cell.

Just ignore it and use the methods we teach. My TA is always around 60ppm and I have NEVER had to clean my cell or had any issues whatsoever with FC production.

Matt
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner Dolphin S300i robot, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates

3. Back To Top    #3

+1 to using TFP guidelines. My cell is starting season 5 and it is as clean as it was on day one with no cleaning ever. Use Poolmathc to keep your CSI between -0.3 and 0 and follow these guidelines, Pool School - Water Balance for SWGs

More in scale here, Pool School - Calcium Scaling
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

4. Back To Top    #4

No you should not raise the TA.
    No your pool is not going to stay safe and clean with the FC less than 3
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

5. Back To Top    #5

Just setting up the SWG and saw that there are parameters labeled on the unit itself that are different from the manual!! Go figure.
    On the unit itself: TA= 80 - 100
    CYA= 60 - 80
    FC= 1 - 3

I will follow TFP's sage advice. So thankful you folks are willing and take the time to help us all along. Absolutely couldn't do it without you
    18' above ground, , Hayward Power Flo LX pump, Rainbow Lifeguard cartridge filter, newly purchase CircuPool RJ+30 SWG, TF100 test kit and trusty speed stir, solar blanket cover (in hopes of warming the pool up before August in VT!)