Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Is this Dirt or Dead Algae sitting at bottom?

1. Back To Top    #1

Is this Dirt or Dead Algae sitting at bottom?

I am wondering if I have just fine dirt/silt that settles to the bottom of the pool or is it algae/dead algae?

Its brown in color and it settles at the bottom of the pool when the pool is still. I recently vacuumed it all out (not to waste) and then about a few days later more of it appeared on the bottom. I'm afraid if I vacuumed straight to waste I'd end up draining a whole lot of my pool!!
    I've always thought it was fine dirt - coming from the kids running and jumping in, debris blowing in, and the fact I use solar covers and that when I take them off stuff rolls off of them into the pool. But now I'm not sure since it returned within a few days.

The water has been clear and my test results have all been good through the past few months and not losing chlorine. My latest results are:

FC: 5
    CC: 0
    CYA: 50 ( I recently added more CYA to get back up to 70)

Just not sure if others have had this issue or any input? Sorry I don't have any pictures. Thanks.
    18x30 Freeform In-ground Vinyl Lined. 11,500 gallons.
    4 returns, 2 skimmers, 2 main drains.
    Hayward TriStar 1hp 2-Speed Pump. Hayward S244T Filter.Hayward Goldline Panel + SWG.
    Polaris 280 cleaner. AquaComfort 75k BTU Heatpump
    TF-100

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: Is this Dirt or Dead Algae sitting at bottom?

Can you pinch it between your thumb and finger? That's dirt.

If it just whooshes away when you try to catch it, it is dead algae
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Good point.
    I'm going to go with the more whooshes away scenario pointing to the dead algae.

Given the pool is clear and numbers have been good - whats the best next step then to help clear that up?
    18x30 Freeform In-ground Vinyl Lined. 11,500 gallons.
    4 returns, 2 skimmers, 2 main drains.
    Hayward TriStar 1hp 2-Speed Pump. Hayward S244T Filter.Hayward Goldline Panel + SWG.
    Polaris 280 cleaner. AquaComfort 75k BTU Heatpump
    TF-100

4. Back To Top    #4

I'd elevate your FC to the shock level for your current CYA (using bleach of course!), give the pool a healthy brushing with some attention to ladders and lights and then perform the OCLT. That would be a good indication if there is anything going on in the pool or not.
    Joel - TFP Moderator - Minnesota - **Become a TFP Supporter!** Helpful Links: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry - SLAM Procedure - Chlorine/CYA Chart
    40x20 Pool: 32K Gallons * Vinyl * Bleach Chlorination * Hayward S270T Sand Filter * Pentair SuperFlo 1 HP * Teledyne/Laars Heater * AquaVac Tigershark * TF-100 w/ SpeedStir
    Isolated Spa - 345 Gallons