Texas vs. SWG - What is the deal

I have had my salt pool for over nine years. I have no unusual corrosion over that time. However I do have brick coping, tile water line and concrete pavers. In the nine years I have replaced the salt cell once, and the pump motor (just the motor not the entire pump) twice. I also have a solar heater which has not given me any problems. Once set up correctly, a salt pool CAN be left unattended for two weeks at a time (vacation anyone?).

Just wondering... is it feasible to grind that down a bit before sealing it? I'm thinking of a handheld concrete planer or a stone blade on a circular saw set 1/32 down or some other specialized tool that would do the same thing?

rent a diamond grinder (for concrete floor grinding). I'd suggest the electric one if you have a good outlet near your pool. That will make these look brand new. The Home Depot in my area rents them.

I know the thread is old.. But here I go:

Nobody mentioned that at least in Houston, everything rusts regardless of the proximity of a pool. With the heat and humidity even stainless steel rusts in Houston :)

I've had the my SWG pool for 2 years and the speed my patio furniture rust has not changed from the time we lived in a house with no pool.

Good points. Also, worth noting is Houston's proximity to saltwater bays, waterways and canals. Pool water is around 3500 ppm salt and ocean water is around 35,000 ppm salt.

Isn't it aluminum that resists SWCG corrosion, not stainless steel?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Aluminum with a thick anodized coating might resist corrosion but uncoated aluminum will suffer from chloride attack and become pitted.

Stainless steels can resist brackish environments if they are the correct grade. Chlorine tends to exacerbate pitting corrosion in stainless steels.

Aluminum with a thick anodized coating might resist corrosion but uncoated aluminum will suffer from chloride attack and become pitted.

Stainless steels can resist brackish environments if they are the correct grade. Chlorine tends to exacerbate pitting corrosion in stainless steels.
To my comment on Stainless Steel is that it corrodes in Houston without the need of a pool in the 10 mile radius :)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

High grade stainless steel is used on boats and many things "marine" and has a reasonably good lifespan in and around ocean water. The problem is that all stainless steel is not created equal. There are lots of things made with inferior grades of stainless steel.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Very good point about outdoor corrosion most anywhere, and worse near the ocean.

It's a shame that this bogus fear of SWC and stone ever got started over there :(

It is so, so handy having both stone and SWCs, which makes it a shame to see good-hearted pool owners lose out because of this barnyard manure.

We live in Houston and have numerous items on our back porch rusting already and our pool isn't even fully installed yet. We are going with salt, and I fully expect things in my backyard to rust about the same they did before I had a pool.

I think as long as people have the proper expectations, and keep up on maintenance salt vs. chlorine is a non-issue.

I have a saltwater pool and flagstone coping and it is just fine. I also know folks with non-saltwater pools and flagstone that is flaking. It is the stone not the salt. I have some flaking flagstone on some paths that isn't near the pool.

Why does this seems to be an isolated opinion for Texas? Wouldn't contractors etc not want to honor warranties due to "salt" in other states as they falsely believe in Texas?

It probably happens in other places but is more a matter of scale. A lot of pools every year are built in Texas, it's a huge market for the pool building industry. Therefore, you're more likely to see this kind of disinformation there and subcontractors can certainly be more picky with their warranties as there is no shortage of work. Also, Texas tends to have local masonry stone supplies (flagstone, travertine, etc) that are softer and more susceptible to salt damage.

I know in my small market there are plenty of builders that won't touch salt water pools and others that only build saltwater pools. I bet if I got a quote from each of them, they would both have a dozen different reasons as to why salt is the best and the worst.

- - - Updated - - -

People in Texas are weerd! Wait ... never mind. :)

I resemble that comment....

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.