Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pump Won't Turn Back On After Cleaning Cartridge Filters

1. Back To Top    #1

Pump Won't Turn Back On After Cleaning Cartridge Filters

We moved into our house last year, and this was my first time cleaning the filters. Once I reassembled everything, the pump motor wouldn't turn on. I tried resetting the GFCI plug, breakers, and nothing seems to be working. The pump is running on a 220v breaker, the lights (they're on a separate breaker, but also connected to the pump electrical) are also not working. Is it possible that I accidentally sprayed water on something that shouldn't and it just needs to dry off? If that doesn't work, what are some steps that I can do to troubleshoot the problem? I'm guessing that if I cannot get it working, I'd call an electrician, and not a pool tech?
    DFW, Texas, 24,337 gallons, IG, plaster, 1.5 HP Jandy (90 GPM), Jandy cartridge filter (580 sq. ft), Polaris 280 w/ booster pump, built 2012, TF100 test kit

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pump Won't Turn Back On After Cleaning Cartridge Filters

Check the main breaker in the house that feeds the sub panel.
    Inground 22k gallon gunite 15x31 main pool, 15x7 wading pool/sunning deck, hot tub/with overflow (9' octagon with limestone top) & slide NSWG, Aqua Blue Pebble Sheen
    Filter dual cartridge Sta-rite 450sq/ft, TF-100 Test Kit
    Heater Raypak 2100 400k btu cupro-nickel exchanger
    Auto pool cover, Polaris 280 auto pool cleaner, Jandy AqualinkRS8 Remote Control System

3. Back To Top    #3

I did that, but it wasn't tripped. I went ahead and reset it as well, but still didn't work.
    DFW, Texas, 24,337 gallons, IG, plaster, 1.5 HP Jandy (90 GPM), Jandy cartridge filter (580 sq. ft), Polaris 280 w/ booster pump, built 2012, TF100 test kit

4. Back To Top    #4

The GFIC may have gone bad. Do you have a GFCI breaker? Longshot, check any GFCI plugs in the house and see if they need resetting.
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

5. Back To Top    #5

I should also mention, that along with the pool lights the outlet, that is connected to the pump electrical box, is not working. We also checked all GFCI outlets in the house.

6. Back To Top    #6

Sounds like the main breaker in the house to me. Are you sure you tried to reset the right one?
    Inground 22k gallon gunite 15x31 main pool, 15x7 wading pool/sunning deck, hot tub/with overflow (9' octagon with limestone top) & slide NSWG, Aqua Blue Pebble Sheen
    Auto pool cover, Polaris 280 auto pool cleaner, Jandy AqualinkRS8 Remote Control System

7. Back To Top    #7

If a GFCI is bad will the small light on it still come on when you test the outlet? It does, and was on when I first went to turn the pump back on. So it tripped at some point.

Edit: Yeah, I was checking the right breaker. None were tripped though.

8. Back To Top    #8

Sounds like you have power to the GFCI breaker if the red led is lit. Why all your other breakers don't work is kinda of a mystery. You may actually really have a short somewhere that needs to be looked at. May want to hire a pro electrician to take a look.

9. Back To Top    #9

I'm giving it the night or so to possibly dry out. Luckily, it's still pretty hot at night in Texas so that may work. If not, I'll try and find an electrician sometime tomorrow morning.

10. Back To Top    #10

TFP Guide

I don't have an answer, but ...... While you are waiting to get the electrical issue figured out -- don't forget to test and dose the pool with bleach if needed. Add and brush around to mix it in. No need to let the pool go green waiting to fix the pump.
    Gene
    ​12,300 gal IG play pool - Pebbletec - built 10/1999 || Hayward S360SX 36" sand filter || Hayward Ecostar SP3400 VSP || A&A In-Floor cleaning system || Quik Water Leveler || Quik Dek-clor (limited use)
    TF-100 testkit / Speedstir - A good test kit is not an expense, it's an investment

11. Back To Top    #11

Yeah thanks, I was going to add a bit more than normal in the morning and give it a good brushing. I jokingly told. My wife I was going to have to add a bunch of chlorine to the water and get in and slosh around to mix it up... She looked at me like I was crazy.

12. Back To Top    #12

TFP Guide

I know that look!
    Gene
    ​12,300 gal IG play pool - Pebbletec - built 10/1999 || Hayward S360SX 36" sand filter || Hayward Ecostar SP3400 VSP || A&A In-Floor cleaning system || Quik Water Leveler || Quik Dek-clor (limited use)
    TF-100 testkit / Speedstir - A good test kit is not an expense, it's an investment

13. Back To Top    #13

Well I gave it the night to possibly dry out, and it is still not working. I guess it's time to call and electrician and hope they can get out before next week.

14. Back To Top    #14

There was a short in the switch that was used to turn off the power to the pump. It was replaced and everything is back to working again.