Please don't laugh at what I bought

Jun 13, 2016
Belton, SC
So I am currently working on my pool project and my wife and I in the mean time decided to buy one of those inflatable hot tubs for our back porch. I have done a lot of research on the Internet and also read the instructions twice, however I cannot seem to find any info on how to properly shock the water and just how much chlorine needs to be added to my floating dispenser to regulate the water. The booklet that came with the tub recommended to use the 1 inch chlorine tablets. The book did not mention how many to use or how to shock the water. I bought a container of them today from Lowes and added TWO 1 inch tablets to the dispenser in an attempt to shock the water for the next day or so. Not sure if I need to do anything else. Any advice from the online community is much appreciated.

I have one. I add 1 to 1.5 oz of 10% liquid chlorine per day to keep it right around 3 ppm FC, depending upon how much we use it.

Sometimes it'll drop below that between dosings, but I haven't had any algae yet. I've been running it this way for about 2 months. Mine also has a saltwater chlorine generator, but it doesn't seem to do much, so I don't run it on any regular basis. It won't run simultaneously with the heater either, so I just add chlorine manually.

I tried pucks in a floater, but I couldn't find a balance, and pH went through the floor.

If it is in the sun at all you may want to use the dichlor chlorinating method until you get your CYA up to around 30ppm. After that use the liquid chlorine. It's explained in pool school under spa.

I keep the cover on mine during the day, but I filled it initially from my pool, so my water already had CYA and FC.

So far with the little time I played with the hot tub yesterday it has been awesome. I have to go out of town for a few days and won't be back to properly treat the water until monday. Think everything should be fine until then? Or do I need to address this before I head out? Thanks guys!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
So I just went out and did a TA, FC and PH test on the water. The FC is above 10PPM right now. The total water in spa currently is 210 gallons. I only had two 1 inch tabs in the floater and never expected it to get the high so quickly. I bought some shock treatment but am considering not putting it in yet since the FC levels are so high. The PH was lower than 6.8 so I added some Clorox PH UP that I bought from lowes and am currently letting it do its thing with the pump cycling water. I am going to go out and check it again her in about 20 mins. The TA was at 0 PPM according to the test stick I used. Once again
PH less than 6.8
TA is at 0 PPM
FC is above 10PPM

any ideas on how to proceed from here? We are hoping to use he spa when we get home on Monday night so if I shock it I am hoping the FC will be done to less than 5PPM by then.

Ok so here's what I decided to do. I went out and raised the PH of the water in order to try to push the TA in the right direction. So far it has helped. The TA is now around 20PPM. Alternatively the PH went from around 7.6 to 8.2. I decided to go ahead and put in the shock treatment even though the FC is well above 10PPM currently. I am going to go out in the morning and add one single 1 inch clorine one tab to the dispenser and leave it covered for the few days that we will be gone. I am off all day Monday so Monday morning I am going to test the chemical levels again, adjust the PH to the correct level and hope that leaving the cover off all day with the sun on it will take the total chlorine level PPM down by that evening so we can get in and enjoy it. Hoping for the best. If anyone thinks I have done anything wrong and has any kind of ideas to get this thing right please please please chime in. Thanks guys!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.