Slamming with DE filter

Jul 20, 2013
NJ
This is my first time ever using a de filter. right now im thinking it might have been a mistake....

took the cover off and the pool was completely green so i researched a little and found out this slamming method and thats what im doing. i am not having problems with the slamming part. well i dont think i am. what i am having concerns with is the de filter. i backwashed it today added more de and within an hour the pressure is going up 7-10 psi. (never higher than 10psi) which according the the filter im supposed to backwash again and add more de. if i just bump it the pressure will climb back up within a few mins. if this keeps up ill be spending hundreds of dollars in de.

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

Yup, that is the downside of a DE filter, they are very good at filtering ;)

If you have a recirculate option, you could do that until all the algae is dead and then filter it out.

Note we recommend backwashing when the pressure rises 20-25% over the clean pressure.

These might be useful:
Use and Care of DE Filters
DE Filter Cleaning Tutorial

Please add your location (City, State or City, Country) to your profile and pool details to your signature as described HERE as it will help us help you.

Hi Brett,
DE filters are very efficient. They will clog quickly if you get algae.

If you have a re-circulate position on the filter valve, set it to recirculate until you make some good headway with the slam. When you can start to see the bottom, vacuum to waste. Then after that that, set it back to filter.

thanks for the quick replies...unfortunately i do not have the recirculating option..so does this mean lots of backwashing and lots of de?

if thats the case i might just disconnect the filter lol

added 5 more gallons of bleach yesterday dramatic improvements overnight. can see the bottom now and looks like most of the algae can be vacuumed up now. amazing 10$ of bleach and were back in business

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.