Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Slamming with DE filter

1. Back To Top    #1

Slamming with DE filter

This is my first time ever using a de filter. right now im thinking it might have been a mistake....

took the cover off and the pool was completely green so i researched a little and found out this slamming method and thats what im doing. i am not having problems with the slamming part. well i dont think i am. what i am having concerns with is the de filter. i backwashed it today added more de and within an hour the pressure is going up 7-10 psi. (never higher than 10psi) which according the the filter im supposed to backwash again and add more de. if i just bump it the pressure will climb back up within a few mins. if this keeps up ill be spending hundreds of dollars in de.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Slamming with DE filter

Welcome to TFP!!!

Yup, that is the downside of a DE filter, they are very good at filtering

If you have a recirculate option, you could do that until all the algae is dead and then filter it out.

Note we recommend backwashing when the pressure rises 20-25% over the clean pressure.

These might be useful:
    Use and Care of DE Filters
    DE Filter Cleaning Tutorial

Please add your location (City, State or City, Country) to your profile and pool details to your signature as described HERE as it will help us help you.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Hi Brett,
    DE filters are very efficient. They will clog quickly if you get algae.

If you have a re-circulate position on the filter valve, set it to recirculate until you make some good headway with the slam. When you can start to see the bottom, vacuum to waste. Then after that that, set it back to filter.
    Divin Dave,
    IG Vinyl, 15' x 30', 3 1/2' - 6' deep, Oval, ~15K gal, Intelliclor IC40, Intelliflo VS pump, Clean and Clear 420 Filter, auto-fill-disabled, Retrofit LED Color Light, Dolphin Nautilus Robot, TF100 Test Kit, Taylor K1766 Salt Test Kit, Tftestkit Pressure Gauge.
    www.tftestkits.net Experience- it's what's learned just after you needed it most !!

4. Back To Top    #4

thanks for the quick replies...unfortunately i do not have the recirculating option..so does this mean lots of backwashing and lots of de?

if thats the case i might just disconnect the filter lol

5. Back To Top    #5

Bummer. You could open up the filter and remove the whole grid assembly.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

6. Back To Top    #6

added 5 more gallons of bleach yesterday dramatic improvements overnight. can see the bottom now and looks like most of the algae can be vacuumed up now. amazing 10$ of bleach and were back in business
    10,000 gallon above ground. hayward 1-1/2hp dual speed pump. hayward ec40ac de filter. SWG

7. Back To Top    #7

Outstanding! Now don't let that clear water fool you. Continue the SLAM until you pass all 3 criteria. Give it the knockout punch otherwise if can resurface. Your progress sounds very promising. Have a nice weekend.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

8. Back To Top    #8

yeah i had to backwash like 3 times within 2 days when i had a green pool at opening.

but DE isnt that expensive relative to other things that pool stores try to jack you for.
    Pool Type: In Ground, Liner. Shape: Free form/kidney
    Size: 32,000 gallons
    Filter/Pump: Brand new (2016) DE Hayward 4820 / Brand new (2016) Pentair VST 2
    Heater: Yes (older)
    Location: NJ. No tree/leaves overhead. Limited shrubs near/over waterfall feature

9. Back To Top    #9

TFP Guide

DE can be bought at Lowes, Home Depot and even some Walmart stores. Just be sure it's the pool kind. Saves a trip to the pool $tore.
    Bob - Palm Beach by San Juan Pools. approx 5000 gals., Pentair 320 cartridge filter (all new guts installed by me), Goldline SWG, 'New to me' Kreepy Krauly Sand Shark, Intermec 104 Timer Test kit: TF-100 w/Speed Stir