What order to balance????

LittleTagAlong

Bronze Supporter
Jun 17, 2016
Amarillo TX
Set the pool up about 2 wks ago. Using test strips, thought it was good to go. Added CYA. Tested again in 3 days, way off. Ordered Taylor 2006.
06-22-16
Tested fill water: Salt 0ppm, FC/CC 000 ppm, pH 7.6, TA 210, CH 120
Tested pool: Salt 2820 ppm, CYA 30, FC/CC 000 ppm, pH 8.0+ (8drops), TA 250 CH 170
Water is still clear, dirt on bottom. no algae
Please help. I descaled swg, and backwashed and rinsed filter. Now what? I don't know which order to get it going. I might be able to figure out how much of what, but assistance would be very nice

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

Add muriatic acid to lower the pH into the 7s.
Add bleach to raise and maintain the FC above 3ppm.

I would suggest raising the FC up to 10ppm and Perform the Overnight Chlorine Loss Test to make sure nothing has started growing in the water in the last 2 weeks.

After all the above, if you pass the OCLT and see no algae,
Add salt.
Add CYA up to 70-80ppm
And dial in the SWG to maintain adequate FC levels according to the FC/CYA Chart

Have you discovered Pool School yet? Start with these:
ABCs of Water Chemistry
Recommended Pool Chemicals
How to Chlorinate Your Pool

How much time between muriatic acid and salt? Should I add chlorine (6%) to boost it, just run SWG for 10 hours, or BOOST it?

- - - Updated - - -

How much time between muriatic acid and bleach? Should I just run SWG for 10 hours, or BOOST it?

Forget about the SWG (turn it off) until you are balanced and confirm there is nothing in the water consuming chlorine.

You only need to wait a few minutes between adding bleach and acid ... once it is in the water it is basically safe.
You can retest after about 30-60 minutes.

Did you read any of the links above?

aerating has nothing to do with CH.

Maybe you are thinking of trying to lower the TA? By adding acid to lower the pH and TA and then aerating to raise the pH so you can add more acid? If so, forget about TA ... it is about the lowest priority parameter.

I added 19 oz of muriatic acid, then 113 oz of bleach. Filter is still running. This brought FC to 10 ppm. Did OCLT: result 10ppm at 6 am
Then retested all other values. Salt is now 3270, even though I didn't add any. No added CYA but increase to 50 (maybe reading error on orig)
CC .2ppm, pH 8.0, TA 250, CH 150
Questions now, do I vacuum before adding additional muriatic acid? And when do I start SWG, how long before chlorine gets to desired level?:confused:
IMG_20160624_114914.jpg IMG_20160624_103716.jpg IMG_20160624_114355.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.