Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: More granular measurement of TA

1. Back To Top    #1

More granular measurement of TA

Is there a way to measure TA in a more granular way other than in increments of 10? Can I take 50ml of water and double the amount of each of the drops and get a measurement graduation that is in 5ppm? Not sure if this is a linear scale or not, but I'm looking for something a bit more accurate than 10ppm. (Yeah, overkill, I'm sure, but trying to understand the chemistry a bit better. TF-100 test kit, btw.
    ----
    15' x 29' 10,300 gal w/ spa, IG-Plaster (Stonescapes Tropics Blue), 2spd WhisperFlo pump (1.5hp WFDS-26), Pentair Clean and Clear CC200 cartridge filter, Pentair MasterTemp 300BTU heater, Clear o3, RS-8 iAqualink

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: More granular measurement of TA

You can use a 50ml water sample. You'd have to have your own beaker that goes to 50ml.

Add 4 drops of R-0007.
    Add 10 drops of R-0008.
    Each drop of R-0009 counts as 5 ppm TA.
    16k AG Vinyl Sand Filter

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

Waste of time. the precision of that test is plus or minus 10 ppm......regardless of the sample size.

For pool needs, TA has a very wide range to begin with so the test meets pool standards just fine but it will not do better than 10 ppm.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks Smackdab. Just validate my think. And yes, I have a graduated cylinder that goes up to 100ml.

Appreciate the reply duraleigh. This was more for my own understanding than any need. I loved science in school, but haven't had a need to use Chemistry in real life in over 30 years. Trying to figure everything out all over again is...dare I say...fun. Good to know I was thinking about this straight.

----
    15' x 29' 10,300 gal w/ spa, IG-Plaster (Stonescapes Tropics Blue), 2spd WhisperFlo pump (1.5hp WFDS-26), Pentair Clean and Clear CC200 cartridge filter, Pentair MasterTemp 300BTU heater, Clear o3, RS-8 iAqualink

5. Back To Top    #5

This thread has a good list of the modifications you can make to the drop counts of the various tests to get different precision - Water Testing - Precision vs Saving Reagents

Just remember that the testing tolerances change with different levels of precision.
    Matt
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner Dolphin S300i robot, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates

6. Back To Top    #6

Wow...that was a good read. Thank, Matt!
    ----