Recurring Algae Problem

attydy

Feb 16, 2014
Ft Lauderdale
Hello all. I have an algae problem that I cannot get rid of. I have been following these forums for a while and the slam protocol. My latest slam was about 2 weeks ago. I discovered algae again yesterday. My FC level never dropped below 5. I reluctantly had my water tested at the pool store today.
TC - 5
FC - 5
Combined chlorine - 0
pH - 8
total alkalinity - 100
CH - 275
CYA - 80
salt - 3100

Phosphates were about 1000.

I understand from these forums that phosphates shouldn't matter as long as the FC level is maintained. But this last time my FC level was at 5 when the algae occurred. I'm in the process of starting another slam. One issue I have is that we have a tiki hut and the overhang is over the pool so that whenever it rains we get a lot a dirt / dust from the tiki roof. Is it possible that I need to maintain a higher FC level? Or should I just use the phosphate remover? I live in south florida and also have the TF-100 test kit.

Thanks for all the help
Dave

15x30 in ground, 14,000 gal, 2hp pump, autopilot digital nano salt system, Florida Stucco Gem Finish

Absolutely keep your FC a bit higher if you're having repeated problems. Your target level is 6, never to drop below 4. So aim a bit higher than 6 (like 8) and then the normal daily FC loss won't take you below 6.

Your pH is too high, and you need to get some muriatic acid in there (using PoolMath as a guide).

Phosphate remover just isn't necessary if you keep your pools chlorine level at the appropriate level. If you have problems doing so....well...it might help but doubtful.

Hello all. I have an algae problem that I cannot get rid of. I have been following these forums for a while and the slam protocol. My latest slam was about 2 weeks ago. I discovered algae again yesterday. My FC level never dropped below 5. I reluctantly had my water tested at the pool store today.
TC - 5
FC - 5
Combined chlorine - 0
pH - 8
total alkalinity - 100
CH - 275
CYA - 80
salt - 3100

Phosphates were about 1000.

I understand from these forums that phosphates shouldn't matter as long as the FC level is maintained. But this last time my FC level was at 5 when the algae occurred. I'm in the process of starting another slam. One issue I have is that we have a tiki hut and the overhang is over the pool so that whenever it rains we get a lot a dirt / dust from the tiki roof. Is it possible that I need to maintain a higher FC level? Or should I just use the phosphate remover? I live in south florida and also have the TF-100 test kit.

Thanks for all the help
Dave

15x30 in ground, 14,000 gal, 2hp pump, autopilot digital nano salt system, Florida Stucco Gem Finish
Welcome!

Would you please post a full set of results from your TF-100? We don't trust the pool store testing.

Dom

Hi and welcome.

I can feel your pain on reoccurring algae. It's coming back for a reason. Basically that is not enough chlorine on a daily basis or not passing all three tests when going through SLAM process.

May I suggest when proceeding to SLAM, consider taking out light fixtures where algae might be hiding behind those in the niches. Looking for any cracks and crevices where algae might be hiding. And brushing those. I've been through this and found algae within the skimmer box plates caked up a good bit. I've found it where my fiberglass steps meet the vinyl.......I could go on and on. Last year I dedicated a kitchen hand held scrub brush to the matter and sent the kids to work on all of the tiny cracks and crevices while they were in the pool. That's when I became such a huge advocate of brush brush brush.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.