Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: My first algae bloom...

1. Back To Top    #1

My first algae bloom...

I started using the TFPC method this spring when I replaced our liner, and had a fresh fill. I noticed late last weekago my pool was getting a bit cloudy. I had recently change my pump time from 18 hours a day down to 6 hours, and attributed the cloudiness to not having my filter on long enough which was probably a rookie mistake. During this time I also let my FC drop to 2 ppm a couple of hot days in a row, basically because I was riding the lower range of my FC. A few days ago I noticed a bit of green on the deep end slope of the pool, but couldn't tell at the time if it was algae or a reflection because it was windy that day. I continued to keep the FC between 3 and 5 and the CC was always at 0.

I had to go a way a few days and had my wife add the required amount of bleach to keep it in the range. Today I returned to a fine layer of green on my liner, and am assuming it is algae. Here are my test numbers when I returned.

FC 3
    CC 0
    pH 7.8
    TA 100
    CH 125
    CYA 35

I pretty sure I need to do a SLAM even thought my CC is 0 because I have visible algae, but want to check before I proceeded. I am lowering my pH now to get it in slamming range in anticipation of beginning a SLAM and have the robot out cleaning.

Please help as I have never done a slam, nor have the experience to know I need to do one.

Thanks.
    SteveS

16' x 50' - 95K L (25000 gallon) I.G. Vinyl liner 12.5 Liquid Chlorine
    Wicor Pantera P24 Sand Filter Pentair Superflo Variable Speed Pump
    Zodiac 3510WD Robotic Cleaner Raypak R336A Heater. ​Taylor K2006c test kit

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: My first algae bloom...

Hi Steve! You got it .... SLAM. Round-up your CYA as 40 and SLAM at an FC of 16 and you're on your way. The SLAM page link is below in my sig. Just follow that page and keep your FC at 16 and you should see great improvements. Make sure to maintain that FC of 16 until you pass ALL 3 SLAM criteria. Good luck!
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

3. Back To Top    #3

Well, its unfortunate but it does sound like you were playing with fire and it burned ya.

That FC was too low for a CYA of 40 (there are no half way numbers).

Get some liquid chlorine at hand, and your pool brush and get to work! It may go quickly if you get on it fast. If you think you're going to run out of testing reagents from the frequent tests during a SLAM order them now!

I hope she keeps you in a cute Speedo while you brush that pool
    My Amazon Smile for November12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain

4. Back To Top    #4

Yes, you need to do a slam. Use PoolMath to determine your slam level. Read through the slam process and get several jugs of plain, unscented bleach to get started. Feel free to ask any questions you may have.
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

5. Back To Top    #5

Brushed and bleach, looks better already.

I assume the brushing helps the filters remove the dead algae so I brushed it a few times.

My FC is currently at 16. Will check again in the morning for OCLT, and to maintain the FC of 16. Have the filter on full and running 24 hours.
    SteveS

6. Back To Top    #6

Failed the OCLT. Lost 2 ppm. Maintaining an FC of 16.
    SteveS

7. Back To Top    #7

Phew...survived. Past the OCLT test this morning with a less than 1ppm drop in FC. My CC is zero, and water crystal clear.

Question is what is the safe level of FC for swimming now that I have finished my slam with a CYA of 40? It's getting hot and I know there will be swimmers lining up. Thanks
    SteveS

8. Back To Top    #8

As long as your FC is 16 or below (no lower than 3) you are good-to-go!
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.

9. Back To Top    #9

Thanks Pat ,appreciate your help.
    SteveS

10. Back To Top    #10

Dead algae vs growing algae.

Is there a way to visually tell the different between dead algae and growing algae?
    SteveS

11. Back To Top    #11

Dead algae should be more of a grey/white color, the live stuff can be any shade of green, black, or yellow depending on the stage and severity. Live algae you might be able to scrape of grab some and smear it on paper. Other light algae will simply "puff-up" in a light plume of dust.

12. Back To Top    #12

Thanks for the answer. The reason I asked is I noticed a gray cloud when brushing my liner and assumed it was dead algae that my filter hasn't picked up yet from my SLAM. I am going to investigate adding DE to my sand filter but I wanted to get the sanitizing part down first, before I ventured into the more complex.
    SteveS