Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: rapidly dropping pH

1. Back To Top    #1

rapidly dropping pH

Hi, all
    New to TFP but was on Pool Solutions for a long time. I have a 25 yd, 2 lane, 3 1/2 to 5 ft depth pool and since I just re-opened this week I can't remember how many gallons that is. Opened about 6 days ago, used calcium for opening bec Ca level was low and pH was around 8.0. Yesterday with full test kit the TA was 100. I can't figure out why my pH has gone down to 6.8 today (it was 7.5 yesterday). Is it the calcium I used? ANy harm in the pH's being this low? Thanks for your thoughts! Eileen

2. Back To Top    #2
    SW PA

Re: rapidly dropping pH

Hello and welcome to TFP!

What are you using to chlorinate your pool? Also, we can't help you figure this out until you post a full set of test results. Do you have a test kit? If not, you should consider investing in a TF100. The link can be found all over the board and in my siggy.

If your pH is truly that low, you must bring it up to 7.5 pronto with Borax 20 Mule Team! Please get us a full test result of FC, CC, TC, pH, TA, CH and CYA levels. Also, it would be beneficial if you provide us your location and pool specs in your siggy by using the user control panel in the top left of every page.

Please do check out Pool School so you can brush up on pool care.
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter

3. Back To Top    #3
    SWSuburban Chicago, IL

Re: rapidly dropping pH

Yes, Full set please.

When you say calcium do you mean Cal-Hypo?

It's possible there was testing error on one of the tests?

I would repeat the test, and the post a full set of results.
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner