Frustrated

Jun 23, 2016
Hewitt, TX
I was wandering through Toys R Us a couple weeks ago with my kids and noticed that they had a ten foot pop up pool on sale for $50. Fun, right? YAY!

I got it home, set it up, and started filling it with water. Both my kids were so excited that it looked like they were vibrating. After they swam in it for an hour or so and went to bed, I sat on my back porch staring at this thing and realized very quickly that I really don't want to have to keep dumping it out and refilling it every other day and I had absolutely no idea how to take care of a pool. At all. So, being the wonderful father that I am in not wanting my children to die from some odd form of dysentery or whatever, we made a trip to Leslie's Pool Supplies the next day. I was sold a $40 tub of Chlor-brite and a $30 bottle of algecide and went on my disgruntled (pronounced "cheap") way. The guy at the store tested the water for me and he said everything looked ok and that was all I needed. So, for the past week I have been following the instructions on the tub and adding the Chlor-brite as directed.

Fast forward to yesterday. Took some water into Leslie's for testing. No cholrine. None. 0. And I, a relatively educated man, stood there staring at this guy with my mouth open. He explained to me very slowly that ultra-violet rays generated by the sun magically fly through space, penetrate our atmosphere, and murder chlorine molecules in bed while they sleep. So he said that what I needed to do was buy something to lower my pH (which was now 8.6) and a water conditioner, to which I replied "No, what I need to do is light this thing on fire and dance around it until someone carries me away, and not give you $45." He slowly backed away and went to help someone else. Ugh.

There's another pool supply place down the road a bit, so I loaded up the kids and went there. The lovely gentleman at this store told me pretty much the same thing. He explained to me that the most unfortunate thing about those pop up pools is that the little filter/pumps they come with are grossly insufficient, even for only 1800 gallons, but with the right determination/stubbornness we can keep this pool going chemically. He told me to finish going through the dry chlorine I bought, but then after that just to use liquid bleach (I thought it was pretty decent to explain that to me instead of immediately trying to sell me something), and took the time to explain some of the chemistry involved instead of just barking numbers at me and throwing buckets of chemicals at my head. He said I can bring my little bottle full of water in whenever I want and he will test the water for me and try to help the best he can. So, I guess I'll go to him from now on.

I have no idea what the point of this post is. Venting, I suppose. I really like the idea of my kids having the pool to play in, but now I really kind of want to jump into traffic.

I guess I'll ask the question......any way to upgrade the pump/filter on this thing without spending 4x what I spent on the pool to begin with?

P.S. I, of course, found the suggestion to put the conditioner in a sock instead of directly into the pool after I had already just dumped it directly into the pool. So, maybe that stuff will just eat through the bottom and "DARN! THE POOL IS RUINED!" Here's to hoping.

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

I am afraid that the chemicals you have already added may result in more headaches in the future. That Chlor-brite you are adding is Dichlor ... that adds stabilizer with the chlorine. And the higher the stabilizer (CYA) the higher you need to maintain the chlorine (FC) to keep the pool clear and safe. So, your CYA may already be too high.

I think the easiest path forward would be to dump the water and start over following the Temporary/Seasonal Pool Guide

Well, honestly, we do not trust any pool store testing.

How much of the Chlor-brite have you added in total? The CYA build up.

The point of the Temp Pool article I provided is to calculate the CYA level and then just maintain FC with a simple kit. The way most of us maintain our pools is by using a test kit that costs more than your pool did ... that would certainly work, but there are cheaper ways to maintain a small pool like yours.

Take a look at that article. If we can come up with an estimate where your CYA is at now, you could just start adding bleach daily. And keeping the pH in line.

Have you discovered Pool School yet? Start with these (although maybe overkill for where you are at with your pool):
ABCs of Water Chemistry
Recommended Pool Chemicals
How to Chlorinate Your Pool

Welp, just in two posts you've been able to provide more information than I've been given in two weeks, so I do appreciate that. I'll get outside and start draining this thing and then follow that guide. I think at this point I'd rather just start from scratch. I'll hop to the Wally Mart in the morning and grab the test kit and some bleach while it fills back up, and then check back in. Any particular brand of bleach? Wish I would've found this site earlier, but that's the way it goes I guess.

Any brand of concentrated (8.25%), unscented bleach is fine. Can be major or store brand. Make sure you don't get splashless bleach (or outdoor, or any other modifier - just plain bleach) or you'll have a bubblebath on your hands. ;)

Sounds like a plan ... I think starting over will provide a better understanding of what is in the water.

Do you still have some stabilizer left?
Do you still have some of the Dichlor left?

There is a slightly alternate method for the Temp Pools (that used to be in that article) that uses the Dichlor to build up the CYA level slowly and then you switch to bleach after adding a total calculated amount of Dichlor (over many many days).

I am going to use PoolMath and give you some numbers that you can then verify you get the same numbers.
Assuming 1800 gallons:
To get from 0 CYA to 40ppm CYA requires 9.6 oz of stabilizer
To add 2-4ppm of FC (daily you will be in here), requires 5 - 11 oz of 8.25% bleach. Based on this I am guessing you will just need to add roughly a cup of bleach every day.

THE ALTERNATIVE using Dichlor:
Every day add ~1 oz of dichlor which will add 2.3ppm of FC and 2.1ppm of CYA.
Do this for 19 days or until you have added 19 oz by weight (1.2 pounds)
Then switch to adding ~1 cup of bleach daily (to keep the FC > 3ppm)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.