Funny chlorine loss

Jun 8, 2014
Rogers, AR
It is hot, hot, hot here in AR.

My pool is a pretty good chlorine junkie. It is in full sun from about 9 am until sundown.

So this year I have noticed a different trend...One day I need 56 oz and the next 84 or 96. Then back to the 56 oz. The pattern has been pretty much the same for the last three weeks. One day I see a 2 ppm loss the next it will be 3 or 4 ppm.

Everything is rock solid and other than chlorine nothing else is needed.

Any regular pattern of pool use that might account for this? A visitor that comes every 2 or 3 days and uses a lot of sun screen? A kid peeing in the pool??

What is your CYA level?

No, just my hubby and I for the most part. My children have informed me that they are sun bathers this year and not swimmers (rolls eyes) These are the two kids who jump in less than an hour after opening and moan all winter when the pool is closed.

My CYA is 40 we are going on vacay for 10 days in two weeks so I am saving some CYA for pucks.

I just thought it was so odd since the pattern has become so predictable.

Last year I took my CYA up to 60 and I still used a lot of chlorine. My pool is like an addict for this stuff. MY TA and CH have not changed in two years and last year I used less than half a gallon of MA. Everything just stays steady.

Last edited:
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.