Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Dissolve 2 lbs granular CYA in 1 hour?

1. Back To Top    #1

Dissolve 2 lbs granular CYA in 1 hour?

Too good to be true? Normally I add approx 2 lbs at a time in a sock in my skimmer. This time around, I switched to a different brand (Aquabrite Chlor-Sta) and hung the sock in front of my return. This brand is perhaps slightly more granular, but not by much. There was a white fog trailing out from the sock like a comet's tail, and it didn't take long at all...1 hour later it is mostly gone. In front of the return, there is a lot more turbulence and the sock gets buffeted around a lot more. The sock is not compromised in any way, no undissolved granules escaped as far as I could tell. Typically I see it dissolved in the skimmer after 24 - 48 hours.
    20K gallon vinyl inground pool, Hayward Pro Series sand filter, 1 HP pump, Taylor K-2006

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Dissolve 2 lbs granular CYA in 1 hour?

Yup it can happen!
    My Amazon Smile for November12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain

3. Back To Top    #3

I have also noticed that it dissolves much quicker with warmer water temperatures.
    Free-form concrete walls with vinyl liner, 18,000 gallon capacity, Jandy 1.5HP e-Pump, Jandy DEV48 DE filter (using cellulose media), Jandy AE2500 heat pump, Jandy Aqualink Power Center with 14-blade cell kit and Jandy PDA-P8 wireless control system.

4. Back To Top    #4

Cool, I'll verify it with the turbidity test tomorrow. My water temp is 86 F. I'm trying to recover from a catastrophic loss of CYA, and this will surely make things easier.
    20K gallon vinyl inground pool, Hayward Pro Series sand filter, 1 HP pump, Taylor K-2006