Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: New pool owner and my water is like a pond.. I'm need of some assistance!

1. Back To Top    #1

New pool owner and my water is like a pond.. I'm need of some assistance!

I just recently bought a house which has a 15' round above ground pool which was not taken care of. I have never been a pool owner till now so I don't know too much about pools. I have been attempting to use a leaf rake and a leaf eater to clean the pool, however it's hard to tell how much debris is in the pool due to the dark water color. Also my pool has a ton of tadpoles swimming around. I'm trying to clean it in order to SLAM it. Also my pool is currently only half way filled, we had to drain some to get the cover out and leaves that were on the cover. when should I refill it? Any suggestions or advice would be terrific!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: New pool owner and my water is like a pond.. I'm need of some assistance!

Welcome to TFP

The best thing you can do is keep at it removing debris, as horrible a task as that can be. Do you have the right test kit ready for starting a SLAM?
    My Amazon Smile for November12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain

3. Back To Top    #3

Welcome to TFP!

Congrats on the new swamp,

First thing I would do is order a TF-100 with the XL option from TFTestkits.net. With your own great test kit you can easily take care of your own pool.

Fill the pool, scoop out as much as you can add 20 oz of bleach daily and brush until you get your test kit.

Read this, SLAM and be ready.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

4. Back To Top    #4

With a 15' round, half empty pool, you would need about 3000 gallons to fill it. If it was my pool, depending on the price of water in your area, I would empty it all the way, scrub it out and refill with about 6000 gallons of clean water. The savings are only 3000 gallons by slamming it.
    29,000 gallon vinyl liner custom designed lagoon style in-ground pool (self-built 2015-2016), Hayward EcoStar VS pump, Hayward HP21404T Heat Pump (140K BTU), Hayward Pro Grid DE DE6020 Filter with Fiber Clear, Hayward Tiger Shark, 2 Hayward Color-Logic LED lights, Stenner 45MPHP10
    370 gallon Jacuzzi J-345 spa with ClearRay UV

5. Back To Top    #5

I bought a test kit from Walmart not realizing I would need a better one. Silly new pool owner. I've been looking into buying a better one not sure if I should get the tf-100 or the Taylor k-2006. Any suggestions?

- - - Updated - - -

Should I be running the pump and the filter while cleaning and dumping 20oz of bleach in the pool, while I wait for my better test kit?

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by Davejavu View Post
    With a 15' round, half empty pool, you would need about 3000 gallons to fill it. If it was my pool, depending on the price of water in your area, I would empty it all the way, scrub it out and refill with about 6000 gallons of clean water. The savings are only 3000 gallons by slamming it.
    I am with him ^^^ on this one. I would take some more of the water out. Leave enough water to come to lower or mid shin. Catch and scoop out all of the tadpoles then work on the solid yuck. That is what I had to do when we moved into our house. Once you have all of the yuck out you can get start filling it back up.

I would get the TF-100 because it has more of the regents you will use on a daily bases.

While all of this is going on look around your area.........where is YOUR best buy for chlorine/bleach? Some find it at Walmart-pool shock or Greater Value plain bleach, some find it at their pool store using the "rented" jugs.

Do some reading to learn the hows and whys of TFP. Here is what I give to all new pool owners. It is a LOT of info so take it slow and let it settle in:

Print these out:
    Pool School - Basic Pool Care Schedule

Pool School - Recommended Levels

Bookmark these:
    Pool School - Recommended Pool Chemicals

http://www.troublefreepool.com/calc.html

Pool School - ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

Make sure to ask any and all questions you might have no matter how small! We have all been where you are at one point.

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

7. Back To Top    #7

I'm in the dump it and start over camp.
    30K? gal (20x40, 3ft shallow to 8-9ft hopper), Vinyl IG, single speed 1HP pump, Hayward Micro Clear DE-3600 filter, Hayward Aqua Rite SWG T15 Cell, Rheem/Raypack M206A heater

8. Back To Top    #8

Definitely more of the tests you need in the TF-100 from TFTestkits.net. That is what I use. More here, Pool School - Test Kits Compared
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

9. Back To Top    #9

Thank you so much for all the help. I am trying to continue to clean the pool waiting for the pool test kit to arrive. Then I am hoping to fill the pool up to where it belongs and run the pump and filter and start to slam it. Hope I am making the right decision to not drain it and save the $500 plus it would cost to refill it.

10. Back To Top    #10

Okay. We got your back. Add 1/2 gallon of bleach everyday until your test kit arrives. Keep scooping debris and brush at least daily.

11. Back To Top    #11

$500 to refill? OUCH! Yeah lets clean that thing up!

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit