Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: 3 Way Valve Question

1. Back To Top    #1

3 Way Valve Question

This is a photo of a 2 in (inside slip) Pentair 3 way valve that I purchased. I was disappointed to see that the design incorporated what looks like a substantial flow bottleneck (see the "eye" shaped PVC in the inlet). My question, can someone tell me if the other brands of 3-way valves also have this eye-shaped bottleneck? My pentair 2-way valves have a round inlet-stop that meets flush with the diameter of PVC that is intended to fit inside the slip, so I know it is possible.

PA3Valve1.jpg

Thank you!
    18x36 in-ground, ~29k gallons, Pentair 3HP VS, Pentair CC+ 420, IC-40, EasyTouch Panel, In-ground cover, 100% DIY-reworked pad (thanks to help from this forum), TFP Test Kit, Near-antique heat pump...

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: 3 Way Valve Question

Once you put the pipe inside, then the "eye" shape is nearly gone. I would not call it a "substantial flow bottleneck" if you are using 2" pipe. If you were using 2.5" pipe with a coupler on the outside, then it would be more of a bottleneck.

BUT, a short restriction like this does not add a huge amount of head loss and will have very little impact on the flow rates.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

It's still significantly present when viewed with a 2 in seated. I'm trying to avoid any headless due to poor design, it all adds up. Anyone know about other brands?
    18x36 in-ground, ~29k gallons, Pentair 3HP VS, Pentair CC+ 420, IC-40, EasyTouch Panel, In-ground cover, 100% DIY-reworked pad (thanks to help from this forum), TFP Test Kit, Near-antique heat pump...

4. Back To Top    #4

Much ado about nothing, IMO
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter

5. Back To Top    #5

Gottcha. Wondering about other brand valve designs, eye or round inlet stop? Jandy, others?

6. Back To Top    #6

I only have a couple Pentair valves at home, so no other brands to offer pictures ... perhaps someone else has pictures to offer.

I just found this about the Jandy, different, but still appears to be some blockage:
    http://blog.poolcenter.com/article.aspx?articleid=6209
    Jason, TFP Moderator

7. Back To Top    #7

Good find, thanks. Perhaps something about the 3-way seal design that requires that shape or similar.