Help, getting started with a 15 x 48 Intex pool

Jun 23, 2016
Corona CA
Hi, I've bought this pool for my kids-it's almost filled up and I don't know what to do next......just doing a little web research and I think I am regretting this purchase? Liquid chlorine, tablets, bleach ? I have no idea what to do and my kids what to swim but I just want to cry. I just need the cheapest way to maintain this pool. Thank you for any advice.....

read "The ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry" up in Pool School. That's our basics.

Cheapest? You can simply ignore it and have a green swamp in a few days.

I hope you chose to learn how to maintain it.....your kids will have a lot of fun but pools are not an item you can ignore or choose the "cheapest" route to care for them.

Hi, welcome to TFP! Its a little overwhelming at first but its really not that difficult. It is important to keep the pool sanitized. Your pool holds about 5300 gallons of water. You need a test kit so you will know what your pool needs. You can start off with a simple 6 way drop based test kit like HTH 6 way kit . Those are usually available at Walmart or Ace hardware, probably some other large discount stores also. While you are there pick up a container of Stabilizer and a couple of jugs of plain, unscented household bleach. Do not buy test strips and do not take your water to a pool store to be tested. Test strips are unreliable and the pool store will try to sell you $100s in chemicals! You should be able to get the items you need to balance your pool for around $50.

If you have some plain, unscented bleach at home now, slowly pour 2 cups worth in front of the return flow into the pool. Wait about 10 minutes and let the kids swim. When they are done for the day add another 2 cups of bleach.

Read ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry for basic information on pool chemistry

Hello Molly and welcome to TFP! :calm: We can help. Here's a few basic steps it get started just for the next couple days:
- You need to add stabilizer (CYA) for a target value of at least 30 ppm.
To increase CYA via granular stabilizer, place the required amount as calculated by the Poolmath calculator into a white sock and place in the poolside skimmer basket. For those concerned about suction flow to the pump, suspending the sock near a return jet or from a floating device will also suffice. Best never to allow undissolved granules to rest directly against the pool surface. Squeeze the sock periodically to help it dissipate. Once dissolved, consider your CYA adjusted to that programmed (target) level. CYA test readings should show a rise in 24-48 hours, however some pools may experience a longer delay to fully register. Best to confirm final CYA in about 5-7 days before adding any more stabilizer/conditioner.
- Add just enough regular bleach (generic is fine) to increase FC to 3 ppm, make sure it mixes around real good for about 20 minutes or so. Once that stabilizer has dissolved in the pool as noted above, then on subsequent days increase FC to 4-5 ppm and never let it drop below 2.
- Test your pH; it should be in the mid-7s

Now how are you testing the water, if at all? You really need the proper test kit (I.e. TF-100 link below). It will last all season and probably into the next. For the next day or two, you might get-by with a small Wal-Mart HTH brand drop test kit for basic FC and pH, but that's only for a few days. So please order a TF-100 (or Taylor K-2006C) right away. As Dave noted, please read the vial links you see below in my sig. It won't take long, but you need to understand the basics.

Last, please update your profile signature to include all of your pool equipment and info. That will help us later. Nice to have you with us Molly.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.