Observations from a Rookie

Jan 31, 2016
Houston/TX
As the title implies I am new to pools having finished our pool in February of this year, but I wanted to share some observations with the crowd and maybe get some insight maybe share some insight.

1. I started off chlorinating with a 50lbs bucket of Tricolor until my CYA reached 40 then switched to Liquid Chlorine 10% which I obtain from Walmart for $2.50 per gallon. Cheapest I could find around here. I also use Borates.

2. Since then I am noticing with the brutal sun that I am dumping 1/2 Gallon per day (sound about right experts?) to maintain 3-4ppm

Cost Analysis

Using Liquid Chlorine

$1.35 roughly after tax per day x 365 = $492.75 per year or $41 per month roughly

If I had continued use of TriChlor

InTheSwim = $108 for 50lbs which lasted 2 months

Cost per month $54

Some have asked which is cheaper and they are close upfront in my observation but TriChlor will end up costing you more. Which is easier? Neither! Keep in mind you either put up with having to monitor your CYA and empty 50% every year and then spend more money rebalancing all your chemicals or just deal with the hassle of adding chlorine every day.

Note: I shock with Liquid Chlorine as well. I do keep some CalHypo and some TriChlor around for when I am on vacation.

My current readings

ALK 90
PH 7.5
FCL 4
CAL 200
CYA 40

Hope this Rookie didn't muddy the water. I try to research the heck out of things before getting into something. Plus I love testing water I have aquariums and YES my Fish are all alive. :D

Enjoy the Hot Summer!

Great analysis, but I do have a couple comments:

You say -
Since then I am noticing with the brutal sun that I am dumping 1/2 Gallon per day (sound about right experts?) to maintain 3-4ppm

With 40 CYA 3 is the absolute minimum you should ever have. You probably should target 5 or 6 to make sure you never drop below 3.

You say -
Note: I shock with Liquid Chlorine as well.

Following TFP methods there is no need to "shock" your pool. If you are seeing algae, it is probably because of my first comment and you need to SLAM Process. If you are not seeing algae or experiencing high chlorine demand then there is no need to "shock". That is just wasted chlorine.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.