Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Observations from a Rookie

1. Back To Top    #1

Observations from a Rookie

As the title implies I am new to pools having finished our pool in February of this year, but I wanted to share some observations with the crowd and maybe get some insight maybe share some insight.

1. I started off chlorinating with a 50lbs bucket of Tricolor until my CYA reached 40 then switched to Liquid Chlorine 10% which I obtain from Walmart for $2.50 per gallon. Cheapest I could find around here. I also use Borates.

2. Since then I am noticing with the brutal sun that I am dumping 1/2 Gallon per day (sound about right experts?) to maintain 3-4ppm

Cost Analysis

Using Liquid Chlorine

$1.35 roughly after tax per day x 365 = $492.75 per year or $41 per month roughly

If I had continued use of TriChlor

InTheSwim = $108 for 50lbs which lasted 2 months

Cost per month $54

Some have asked which is cheaper and they are close upfront in my observation but TriChlor will end up costing you more. Which is easier? Neither! Keep in mind you either put up with having to monitor your CYA and empty 50% every year and then spend more money rebalancing all your chemicals or just deal with the hassle of adding chlorine every day.

Note: I shock with Liquid Chlorine as well. I do keep some CalHypo and some TriChlor around for when I am on vacation.

My current readings

ALK 90
    PH 7.5
    FCL 4
    CAL 200
    CYA 40

Hope this Rookie didn't muddy the water. I try to research the heck out of things before getting into something. Plus I love testing water I have aquariums and YES my Fish are all alive.

Enjoy the Hot Summer!
    33' x 21' + SPA, Approx. 20k Gallon, Gunite, Freeform, Natural Rock Features, PebbleTec Tahoe Blue Plaster;
    Hayward SwimClear 425, 400k heater, EcoStar Variable Pump, 1.5h Booster Pump, Polaris 280 Cleaner, Autofill;

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Observations from a Rookie

LOL glad all of the fishes are still alive! That IS a good thing!

VERY interesting findings for sure!

Thanks for sharing!

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

had calculation off. sorry. I noticed that and corrected.
    33' x 21' + SPA, Approx. 20k Gallon, Gunite, Freeform, Natural Rock Features, PebbleTec Tahoe Blue Plaster;
    Hayward SwimClear 425, 400k heater, EcoStar Variable Pump, 1.5h Booster Pump, Polaris 280 Cleaner, Autofill;

4. Back To Top    #4

Its been quite a summer in Houston so far, from flood to furnace in the course of 4 weeks!
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

5. Back To Top    #5

Great analysis, but I do have a couple comments:

You say -
    Since then I am noticing with the brutal sun that I am dumping 1/2 Gallon per day (sound about right experts?) to maintain 3-4ppm
    With 40 CYA 3 is the absolute minimum you should ever have. You probably should target 5 or 6 to make sure you never drop below 3.

You say -
    Note: I shock with Liquid Chlorine as well.
    Following TFP methods there is no need to "shock" your pool. If you are seeing algae, it is probably because of my first comment and you need to SLAM. If you are not seeing algae or experiencing high chlorine demand then there is no need to "shock". That is just wasted chlorine.
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon