Vinyl liner and aluminum coping

May 8, 2015
Rochester, NY
Hi all! I am looking for a new pool liner and intrigued by grey and tan liners. I've been following all the posts showing vinyl liners and loving the pictures.
We moved into our house 2 years ago and it has an existing vinyl liner pool originally built in 1973. We knew the liner was old but first invested in a safety cover and held off expense wise. I found a warranty card in the paperwork the previous owner left us from Garrett Co. I looked them up and asked them the age out of curiosity. They responded back...1985!!! [emoji15] So here is a before picture with the after coming in a month or so.
As you can see, the aluminum coping needs a paint job. The pool place said to ask Sherwin Williams and they said to ask a pool store. LOL. Anyone here actually painted this stuff?
fdabaa7ae92ac75179904acfb51013ec.jpg

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

Any flat enamel spray paint designed for use over metal would work fine. The key is to get the coping very clean using a strong detergent such as TSP diluted in a water before painting. I would tape off the concrete and the liner so you don't get paint where you don't want it. You could also paint in small sections using a piece of cardboard to shield the liner and concrete with a helper. Just do it on a calm day so you don't have spray paint all over the place.

Just an update: First, I power washed the coping and concrete decking right next to it. There were a few places where concrete or hard stuff required a wire brush. I purchased aluminum priming spray at Home Depot. Right before spraying, I wiped down the coping with a microfiber cloth. The primer only comes in bright white so I just did enough primer to cover all of it but definitely not a finished, even coat. I think it took 4 cans for my 20x40.
My husband and I then picked a spray paint color from Rustoleum. I really didn't want brush strokes or to buy a sprayer so we had to pick a color from their line. My husband, the conservative one, thought a bronze to match the patio furniture and our bronze sunroom window in closure would look "cool." I spent two days worrying that the coping would get too hot, and then threw caution to the wind. The only bronze I likes was the hammered finish, but it only looks hammered if you let it pool up...which I didn't.
I got in the pool to do the underside of the coping. It worked but paint was all over the surface of the water so I moved quickly! My husband held a piece of poster board over the concrete to prevent overspray. I definitely had to go around 2x because of the dark color.
We did the top of the coping with the same poster board ($1 store) technique. 13 cans later, it looks pretty good. I have 2 spots to touch up. It sounds like a lot of spray paint but at $5 a can its only around $65 bucks...still a cheap fix.
Also, I put a sock in the skimmer to remove all the paint from the water surface...it adds up! 3 sock fulls of paint. Watch the sides of the skimmer at the water line...it gunks up there. It was removed fairly fast and then we could swim the next day.
Our new liner is coming tomorrow which is why I wanted this project done now. It was so much easier not to worry about the liner. I'll post the finished pictures next week.
I'll have to see how it does with a Rochester winter, but so far so good! And the coping it's hot enough that the kids have commented on it. I can walk on it and I splash it quickly with water if I'm sitting.
Hope this helps someone!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.