problem with Hayward de filter system with fingers

Jun 23, 2016
Newville PA
Hello:) We are having a problem with our De filter system (with fingers'). We opened our pool, above ground 24', as usual this spring. Everything seemed normal ..then the lid shot of the filter (ended up with a cracked lid) We replaced the lid/vent and put a new gasket on. In the mean time waiting for our parts the filter sat idle for a few days with all the opening chemicals in it. So we replaced the parts, started it up and it ran okay for about 1/2 hour then the pressure started getting high and water coming in the jet was slow. Bumped it, restarted ..same thing happened. Took filter apart..soaked fingers in cleaning solution and cleaned out the de powder, cleaned the whole unit and put it back together. Then started it up adding new de powder. The pressure is still getting high after a short amount of time running. then it starts to leak out of the lid ..please can someone give us some guidance??? Thank you.. Nancy

Couple of questions.

What style Hayward DE is this filter. The old, with about a dozen or so bolts that hold the top down, or the newer with two clamping peices of plastic that bolt together to hold the top down.

Regardless of whatever style, how the heck does the lid of the filter shoot off? Either way is going to result in damage to the lid, filter housing, or retaining clamps.

Whne you bump, does your pressure go back down for a while? If it does, then are you sure your pool is clean? Did you have anthing that is still in the lines and cloging the DE? I had to change my DE twice on opening this year because I had so much garbage in the pool from a failed cover. I had the same symptoms as you (pressure rising, no leaking, no lid frisbes).

What are your pressure readings - especially the one when the leaks start.

Did you lube the new gasket when you put it in (with pool lube, not anything else)

-dave

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.