Heater Turns on for 1 minute then Shuts Off

kuzya

Sep 20, 2013
Hi,

We have an inground pool with a Hayward H150 electronic ignition propane gas heater.
The heater turns on. It fires up. The temperature climbs up to the set temperature and
after that the heater shuts off. It doesn't turn on again and the water at the return lines is cold.
When the heater is working the water is warm at the return lines. The heater does the same thing again
if I unplug it and plug it back in.

There are no codes displayed on the control panel.

Any idea on what to check first?

Here is more information about the heater:

We bought the house last year and finally connected the gas line to the heater 2 weeks ago.
The previous owners had a tank that was directly connected to this heater and nothing else.
The new tanks are connected to the heater, gas stove, generator and gas grill.

There are no problems with the gas line. Grill, generator and gas stove all work.

I have a manometer and tested the pressure at the regulator and there is enough for the heater.

Thank you!

Victor

It will show the current temperature of the water. Service light is off.
Heat light is off. Pool red light is on.

Here is the complete list of events.
Current temperature: 75
Set temperature: 85
I change the mode from standby to pool.
Pool light is on. Heat light is on.
Heater turns on. Temperature goes from 75 to 85. Heater turns off. Heat light is off. Service light is off. Pool light is on. Temperature goes to 75.
Nothing else happens until I cycle the mode from pool to standby to spa to pool. Process repeats.

I am cleaning the heater right now.

Thank you.

Here is latest update after cleaning the heater.

I turned it on, the heater was on for about 2 minutes. Water temperature went from 75 to 85. Heater turned off. I felt the water was warm around the return.
Temperature went down to 75 after about 15-30 seconds. The heater was off for 8 minutes and turned on and the cycle repeats.

This is my first experience with using a pool heater. Is this normal operation? It seems that the water only stays warm around the returns for a couple of minutes.

I will leave the heater overnight to see how well it is working. I will not be at this house until this coming weekend.

Can I leave the solar cover on top of the pool while the heater is working?

Thanks for all the help.
Victor

It should take a lot longer for the water temp to go up 10 degrees in 2 minutes. You have something else going on.

Yes you can keep the cover on while the heater is running.

Paul, I think he means the digital display goes up that fast.

I am not really sure what you are asking here Victor. When the pool reaches the pre-set temp, the heater shuts off and there will be no more heat coming from it. If it is short cycling it could be a water flow problem. Has anyone worked on this unit in the past, unhooked/bypassed a sensor???

The digital display goes up by 10 deg to the set temperature of 85 deg. I am asking if this is normal operation for a heater.
The water is barely warm from the return jets when the heater turns on for about 2 minutes. After this there is a 7-8 minute cooling off period when the heater is off and the water is cold from the returns.

Is this normal for a pool heater?

Thanks!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
No that is not normal for the heater. You either have a water flow issues, valves possibly not turned right if you have them, or it could be the internal bypass on the heater is broken and needs to be replaced or the temp sensor is bad. Usually though on the Hayward's when the temp sensor goes bad it shows the error code SF on the display. Does it have a rattling sound like rocks are in the unit?

When the unit is working correctly, the water coming out of the returns with the heater on will be warm, not hot. It would take a long time to heat a pool with a small heater like that.

The only valves I have is before the pump and on the sand filter before the heater. Both valves are on. Can you tell me what should happen if the heater is working correctly?

- - - Updated - - -

I don't hear the rattling sound, but maybe it is because of the pump sound. How loud is the rattling sound. Would I be able to hear it when the pump is on?
There is no SF code on display.

The only valves I have is before the pump and on the sand filter before the heater. Both valves are on. Can you tell me what should happen if the heater is working correctly?

- - - Updated - - -

I don't hear the rattling sound, but maybe it is because of the pump sound. How loud is the rattling sound. Would I be able to hear it when the pump is on?

The heater should turn on and remain on until the water temperature reaches the set level. In this case 85. Once there it will cycle on and off, maintaining 85 F. All assuming your pump is continuously running, supplying the heater with water.

As ps303 says, this could be a temperature sensor issue. In this case, I don't know if you can trust what the display on the heater is telling you. You may want to get a good old fashion pool thermometer but I think you should be able to tell the difference between 75 and 85.

- - - Updated - - -

You can't miss the sound. Your heater is showing a temp based upon the water temp in the heater. So if you turn it on and it says 75 and you set it to 85 and it shoots up to 85 quickly, you have an issue with a temp sensor or a water flow issue due to a bad bypass valve in the heater.

A heater operates just like a home AC or heater. It gets to temp and as long as you keep the unit on it will maintain the temp for you.

This exact thing happened to me. Last year I had our plumber replumb the gas line to the heater. After the job was complete we had this issue. The frustrating part was that all readings were in the range where the heater should have been fine. After a few weeks of the various techs visiting (I assumed the problem was with the heater), a Hayward rep (my new favorite person) was at the house and identified the issue immediately. The new pipe was too small (0.75" if I remember correctly) and the heater was not receiving enough pressure after the gas flowed through the pipe. From what I understood, there wasn't enough pressure to maintain the burner. Once the proper sized pipe was installed (1.25" I beleive) everything was all set.

I would check to see if the pipe is large enough. It looks like the size of the pipe is dictated by the model (obviously) and the heater's distance from the meter/tank. Assuming this is the proper manual, see page 11?

The poster has a propane system. Propane is usually delivered via a 3/8" or 1/2" copper line regardless of length of run. It is run at a high pressure and thus you would need a second stage regulator at the device you are feeding.

I can also say that I have fed a 400K natural gas unit on 30' length of 3/4" line. Now also depending on the manufacturer you might need to upgrade. Raypak/Rheem is very forgiving on this issue and thus another reason why I choose them over other brands.

I can also say that I have fed a 400K natural gas unit on 30' length of 3/4" line.

If only you were in Massachusetts you could have helped with my issue! No one could get the heater to work properly when the pipe was that small.... and my meter is only about 5 feet from my heater!

Thanks for the help. I am back at house today, this is a vacation home. I will check the rattling sound again.
You saying that the heater should stay on until it reaches 85 degrees and the temperature it is showing is the water coming in and the set temp - 85 F.
The heater should not cycle at all before the water in the pool reaches 85 F. Is this correct?
The temperature in the pool is definitely not 85F, it is 75F.

- - - Updated - - -

There are no issues with the gas line. I measured the pressure. There is a second stage regulator next to the heater.

I just looked up the parts. I will take the header off and check the by-pass valve (HAXBPK1932)
For the other part. Is it the mechanical thermostat? I think it is called flow control thermostat (HAXFCT1930)
Thanks

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.