Heater Turns on for 1 minute then Shuts Off

I am back at the house and I took off the header. I first tested the thermal control valve by putting it in hot water. The valve opened. After that the valve fully closed when it cooled down. Looks like it is working ok.
Next I looked at the by-pass valve. The insert looks new. Valve looks good and I was able to compress the spring by moving the valve.
I also replaced the thermistor and put everything together. Turned the heater on and the same issue is present.

Any other ideas?
Thanks!

Can you post a picture of your heater. One of the outside and once of the inside?

At this point it might be best to get a tech out to look at this. You are spending lots of time trying to figure it out when you should be enjoying your pool. Once things get beyond the normal things it's time for someone that knows a bit more and can put their hands on the unit. I could tell you that that you should also test the temp limits. Also your issue could be the system board.

We had hot weather the last couple of weeks. The pool was 82 deg without the heater.
I disconnected temp limits and received an error code - LO
Jumped both limit switches and the heater was cycling as before.
Checked for continuity and both are ok.
Checked the pressure switch for continuity and it is good. Check the voltage reading when the heater is on and it is around 4 volts at both terminals.
Any way to check the control board?
I will post pictures later.

One more thing. In the manual it lists possible reasons for cycling on and off continuously.
One of the reasons is pressure switch out of adjustment. Remedy is to adjust the pressure switch. It talks about adjustment dial. I don't see this dial. Maybe I have to take it out. What do you think?
Thanks.
Victor.

You should not have to adjust the pressure switch. The only time you should have to adjust it is if the pool sits higher than the heater. Then you adjust it so the downward pressure from the water doesn't cause the heater to fire when the pump is not running. If you think the pressure switch could be an issue, you could for a few minutes jumper the two wires together and see how it acts. But do not leave it like that for any extended period of time.

I know this is a long shot but since you've never seen the heater operate properly is it possible the heater is plumbed backwards? This would put warm water at the inlet and possibly be the cause of the rapidly increasing temperature indication and heater cycling.

I checked the plumbing against the manual and it is correct. Thanks for the suggestion.

- - - Updated - - -

I just checked the manual and the part number for the control board is HAXCPA3151.
The only part I found online is Hayward HAXCPA3153.

I will call Hayward today.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.