Pump start capacitor burned out 2nd time, long story

Jun 23, 2016
Stephentown, NY
I have a hayward Superpump with a 1.5HP motor. Unknown age, came with the house I purchased August 2014.

When I went to start it for the first time this season it would buzz and not begin spinning. I assume something was jammed in the impeller and so I attempted to access it, however 2 of the housing cap screws (big bolts with 9/16 hex heads) were rusted in place. I was able to free one with some sea-foam, but the other was badly stuck so I cut the head of with a sawsall.
Turns out the main shaft was seized (i was able to remove the impeller without locking the shaft from the rear). After applying some more sea-foam I was able to get the shaft to turn manually and for quick burst with power before re-assembling.
After re-assembling with only 3 bolts tightened, it started up fine but leaked pretty vigorously from the corner with the busted bolt.
I got a bolt extractor set and to remove the bolt, but instead I pulled out the entire brass threaded insert into pump/strainer housing.
I purchased a kit that had a replacement for this and installed it, as well as a replacement seal assembly since the seal looked worn and was of unknown age.
I wasn't able to get the replacement threaded inset to stick in place as intended, but with some patience and gorilla glue the job eventually got done.
Upon re-assembling and restarting the pump there was still some leaking, and after about a 30-60 sec there was a big puff of white smoke and it shut off. I figured the start capacitor had blown, and confirmed after removing it. Its odd that it would go out after it had already started pumping so I suspect the start switch governor stayed closed either because it was slightly rusted or it never got to full speed, eventually causing the start system to overheat.
With the capacitor removed and the motor detached I could test start it, so nothing seemed to be jammed or seized.
I purchased a replacement start capacitor and some rtv sealant to go around the imperfectly sealed corner. I also played with the start switch to make sure it depressed and sprung back up properly.
After re-assembling everything, it started up well with no leaking, but very quickly started smoking. Not a big poof but a more constant white smoke, and after shutting off it buzzes instead of starting again. So basically back to square one.

Any advice? Are the windings in the motor burnt out? I can remove the capacitor and check it with a meter, but I assume it burned out again. At this point I've been working on this for a month that I could have been swimming, and considering just calling a pool service company.

Welcome to TFP :)

Easy one for me, get a new pump, some will say it could be fixed but I think you have gone above and beyond on that front :)

if I may recommend, this pump is awesome and has served me and other's well, it is a 2 speed 1 HP but there are other pumps as well that would fit :)
http://www.pentairpool.com/pdfs/superfloDS.pdf
Amazon.com : Pentair 340042 SuperFlo High Performance Energy Efficient Two Speed Pool Pump, 1 Horsepower, 230 Volt, 1 Phase - Energy Star Certified : Swimming Pool Water Pumps : Patio, Lawn Garden

I haven't taken the motor itself apart before to access the windings, not sure where to find the spec on the winding resistance. Probably have rusted hardware and I might not be able to get it apart without destroying something. I'll take a look and see if I can figure it out, but I was about ready to give up on it anyway.

Since you seem more than capable of doing a DIY replacement, I'd just go for a new pump. The cost of a pool service doing a house call and repair will cover most if not all of the cost of a pump bought from an online source.

Cowboycasey, I'm not sure how the 2 speed thing works, but I'll probably get the single speed 1 or 1.5HP one. Also only have 115V wiring there. My local pool company wanted to charge over $550 for the a similar pentair 1HP pump plus a $200-$300 to install if you believe it.

Welcome to TFP :)

Easy one for me, get a new pump, some will say it could be fixed but I think you have gone above and beyond on that front :)

if I may recommend, this pump is awesome and has served me and other's well, it is a 2 speed 1 HP but there are other pumps as well that would fit :)
http://www.pentairpool.com/pdfs/superfloDS.pdf
Amazon.com : Pentair 340042 SuperFlo High Performance Energy Efficient Two Speed Pool Pump, 1 Horsepower, 230 Volt, 1 Phase - Energy Star Certified : Swimming Pool Water Pumps : Patio, Lawn Garden

Thanks I just ordered this one, seems like a pretty comparable replacement. Hopefully don't have to mess with the PVC much to get it to fit. I would have spent at least $800 to have it done, this will be about half.

Since you seem more than capable of doing a DIY replacement, I'd just go for a new pump. The cost of a pool service doing a house call and repair will cover most if not all of the cost of a pump bought from an online source.

Good choice.

I almost went with one of those but just decided to keep my existing pump/motor (it just leaked a little)

It looks like the pentair's have the intake plumbing a little higher than the haywards's but that could
be an illusion.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.