Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: New to pool word. First fill numbers. Hellp appriceated.

1. Back To Top    #1

New to pool word. First fill numbers. Hellp appriceated.

Ok folks,
    Newbie into the pool world. Have an Intex Easy Set 18ftx48in round. After filling it yesterday and adding chemicals last night here are my numbers this moring using the Taylor K-2006 testing kit. The pool is in full sun most of the day. So without any CYA I am worried about FC loss.

FC 7.5
    PH 7.6
    TA 170
    CC .5
    CYA 0

I have on hand Bleach, Borax, Baking Soda, and Dichlor (as my stabilizer???) Pool Math shows that I need to add 3.5 oz of Muratic Acid and 30oz of Stabilizer.

Two questions that I have.... 1. Can I use Dichlor as my stabilizer? 2. Should I wait to add the MA until after I get the CYA up to 40 or so?

Thanks for your help!
    Bedford, IN Intex Easy Set Pool. 18ftx48in. Krystal Cealr Model 635T Filter Pump.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: New to pool word. First fill numbers. Hellp appriceated.

Welcome to TFP!

PH at 7.6 is perfect, no MA needed

Yes, it is fine to use dichlor to raise FC and CYA. It will just take longer so be sure to check FC later in the day to make sure it stays above minimum for your CYA, FC/CYA Chart
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks,
    I just added 1.8 pounds of Dichlor by using a white sock and floating it in front of my return jet. Took aobut 10 min to discipate. I will recheck FC levels later today. Is the TA at 170 a problem?

Thanks!
    Bedford, IN Intex Easy Set Pool. 18ftx48in. Krystal Cealr Model 635T Filter Pump.

4. Back To Top    #4

TFP Guide

Depends on what your pH does. If it rises quickly, acid will lower both.
    32K gallon Plaster - 1hp Hayward 2 speed Super Pump - Hayward S200 Sand Filter - TF100XL
    Test Kits - Pool Math - Chlorine/CYA/Target/Slam Chart

5. Back To Top    #5

TFP Guide

you can use the dichlor to bring the CYA up, it is slower than using 100% CYA but it will do the following

Add free chlorine
    add CYA
    drop PH

6 ounces of dichlor for 7600 gal pool will

raise your FC 3.3
    add 3 CYA
    drop PH 0.12

Your FC will go very fast at first until your CYA gets at about 30

Once your CYA is at 30 start using bleach instead

congrats on the new pool and test kit, great job
    Pool: Intex 16x32 15000 gal, 2 speed 340042, Pentair CC320 Filter, CircuPool SJ45 Salt System, Intermatic PE653RC; Hot Tub: 650 Gal SWG Megachlor
    links: pool school * Recommended-Levels * SLAM * CYA chart * Test kits * How To Post Pictures * Poolmath * OCLT ** Support your website if we helped you :) **

6. Back To Top    #6

Thanks for the information. The kids have been in the pool today. No complaints about the water. The last 8 tested FC was high at 13.5 and CYA was starting cloud up on the tester. Not quite where it needs to be. I will test again be for i turn in.

7. Back To Top    #7

With little CYA, FC=13.5 is at SLAM levels. Might be a tad high for safe swimming. Perhaps more experienced TFPers could weigh in...
    29,000 gallon vinyl liner custom designed lagoon style in-ground pool (self-built 2015-2016), Hayward EcoStar VS pump, Hayward HP21404T Heat Pump (140K BTU), Hayward Pro Grid DE DE6020 Filter with Fiber Clear, Hayward Tiger Shark, 2 Hayward Color-Logic LED lights, Stenner 45MPHP10
    370 gallon Jacuzzi J-345 spa with ClearRay UV

8. Back To Top    #8

It is safe to swim when FC is above minimum and below shock level for your CYA, FC/CYA Chart
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach